Model Cars Magazine Forum

Yet another Mopar question

Hey all,

This may be a dumb question, but I needs to know :P

What is the difference between the 1971 Plymouth GTX and the '71 Road Runner?

Obviously the name....and the badging, but to me they look the same.

I have Revell's '71 GTX kit and I want to turn it into a Road Runner, but I'm not sure what I need to pull it off...

As usual, any help would be appreciated :D

Cheers, Ian

The biggest differences would be standard engines, the RR had the 383 or 340 as a no cost option and the GTX had the 440. The 440 6 bbl and Hemi were optional on both. The other big difference was interior The RR had a bench seat standard and the GTX had buckets. Buckets were optional on the RR. Standard hoods were the same for the 2 cars (which can be found in the 71 Satillite kit), the Air Grabber hood was optional on both cars, standard with the Hemi engine. There were also different stripes for each car. The GTX also had a ribbed chrome rocker trim that wasn't on the RR.

Bottom line, depending on how the cars were optioned a RR and GTX could only differ in the badging and stripes. The kit that Monogram released as a 71 Satillite was actually a RR but Monogram couldn't get the licensing to call it a RR because MPC had the license at that time. The 71 Satillite tooling was then modified to make the GTX kit. Model Car Garage has a photoetch set for these cars that would help in the conversion.

Interior differences = door panels, dashboard emblem, standard steering wheel. Bucket seats optional on RR, standard on GTX.

Road Runner standard engine = 383, GTX = 440/4. Optional 340/4 for Road Runner, not available for GTX.

The older Monogram 1971 Satellite kit is a good start for a 71 RR; correct interior bucket and no rocker panel trim, but you'll need decals and a more correct engine. And a l'il bird's head for the grille. Meep meep!

Browse though here, Ian: http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library.shtml

I agree that the Monogram '71 Satellite is a better starting point for a Road Runner than the '71 GTX kit. Some guy did a comparison of the two kits a while ago, too: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28020&hl=satellite&fromsearch=1

Casey,

Geez, I wonder who that guy was.... ^_^ Excellent article, BTW

Hey all, thanks for the info on the GTX/RR situation. I just picked up a Revell GTX and Monograms '71 Satelite kit, and I plan on making a Road Runner out of it

The only problem is that Satellite kit has no chrome tree. I knew that going in, but it was so cheap, I couldn't pass it up :lol:

I guess I could rob Peter to pay Paul, and use the chrome from the GTX kit on the Satelite/Road Runner, but we'll see,

Cheers, Ian

I might be wrong, but the air grabber hood was optional on all engines between the RR and GTX. As mentioned, the only real difference is trim and nameplates. In fact, RR's from '72 to '74 could be ordered with a GTX trim package even when the model was no longer available.

Technically, the GTX ws a Belvedere while the RR was a Satellite.

To add some more confusion to the 1:1 replication, Plymouth also made a Sport Satellite that looked very much like the GTX (buckets and trim), but it had the 318 and 383 engine choices. Guys used to buy them and swap the GTX trim...kinda like the C4 Vette posers who put ZR-1 badging on the LT-1 and LT-4 Vettes. I almost bought a '69 Sport Sat convertible disguised as a GTX but found a Satellite moniker on the car. I probably still should have bought it anyway.

Edited by deja-view

For '71, Plymouth split the coupe and 4-dr. They were two completely different cars. Prior to '71 ('67-'70) all Plymouth B-Bodies were part of the Belvedere family. This is from '68...

L = Low - Belvedere

M = Medium - Road Runner

H = High - Satellite

P = Premium - Sport Satellite

S = Special - GTX

The first letter of the VIN on each of these cars is 'R'. The second digit is the letter listed above depending on what car you have. As a coupe in 1971, the M, H, P, and S apply. The E (economy) and L was used on the 4-doors (cabs and cop cars).

I might be wrong, but the air grabber hood was optional on all engines between the RR and GTX. As mentioned, the only real difference is trim and nameplates. In fact, RR's from '72 to '74 could be ordered with a GTX trim package even when the model was no longer available.

To add to the knowledge base here, GTX nameplates were added to 1972-1974 Roadrunners only when the 440-4bbl engine was ordered. (And apparently there were a few - generally thought to be about 3-6 cars - I have the actual latest number around somewhere) 440 4bbl's produced very early in the 1972 model run before the engine option was cancelled.

BTW, many (if not most) of the current staff and contributors to Model Cars magazine own current generation Mustang GT's, but did you know that two of Model Car's contributors purchased and owned factory-new 1974 Plymouth Road Runners? They were both black with black interiors - and both were owned for a long period of time - one for 16 years, the other for about 25 years...

Edited by tim boyd

Very interesting, Tom. I had headed overseas by the time the '71s had come out so I didn't see any of them for years. Before I left I was stationed at March AFB and working part time at a Texaco station near the Riverside Raceway. We serviced all the Avis rental cars out that way, many of which were used by the incoming drivers for the races. The plain-Jane Satellites mostly had the 318's in '68 and '69, and must have been really light because we could burn the tires all the way from the back curb to the front with no trouble.

Lots of guys would come in with the musclecars of the time, and our workers had a few nice ones (427 Impala and Nova(?) SS ball busters and some good big block Ford stuff. I had traded my Dodge by then for a fun little Cortina GT with the Lotus engine so my American Muscle was put on hold. I was always surprised, however, at those Satellites and how quick they were. :)

To add to the knowledge base here, GTX nameplates were added to 1972-1974 Roadrunners only when the 440-4bbl engine was ordered. (And apparently there were a few - generally thought to be about 3-6 cars - I have the actual latest number around somewhere) 440 4bbl's produced very early in the 1972 model run before the engine option was cancelled.

BTW, many (if not most) of the current staff and contributors to Model Cars magazine own current generation Mustang GT's, but did you know that two of Model Car's contributors purchased and owned factory-new 1974 Plymouth Road Runners? They were both black with black interiors - and both were owned for a long period of time - one for 16 years, the other for about 25 years...

Actually there were quite a few 4 barrel equipped 440 Road Runner/GTXs produced in '72-'74- the '72 4 barrel was even available with a 4 speed and Dana 60 driveline. The 4 barrel 440 cars all seem to have had small GTX emblems in addition to the regular Road Runner trim

There were a handful of 440 six barrel cars produced- very early in the model year as this engine was cancelled- two Chargers and one Road Runner

still exist- the Road Runner not having GTX emblems. The 6 barrel was available with an auto trans only soall had the 8 3/4 rear

So to sum it up, I want to do a 440-6, 4 speed Roadrunner in some type of Hi Impact green with steelies and dog dish caps..

So, I can use the Monogram Satellite body and hood, Keith marks decals, Model Car Garage RoadRunner photo-etch set, and plug and chug to get the car I want...

Works for me

You know, I spent too many years building military aircraft worrying about what's right and what's accurate...no wonder I have a hard time finishing anything :lol:

Well, I'll give it a shot

Cheers, Ian

So to sum it up, I want to do a 440-6, 4 speed Roadrunner in some type of Hi Impact green with steelies and dog dish caps.. So, I can use the Monogram Satellite body and hood, Keith marks decals, Model Car Garage RoadRunner photo-etch set, and plug and chug to get the car I want... Works for me You know, I spent too many years building military aircraft worrying about what's right and what's accurate...no wonder I have a hard time finishing anything :lol: Well, I'll give it a shot Cheers, Ian
One more change if you want to make it 100% correct, a 4 speed 440+6 would have had a Dana 60 rearend I believe the 71 Satilite and GTX kits both have 8 3/4 rears. A nice Dana can be found in the 70 RR/GTX/Superbird kits or the 69 Super Bee kit, you will need to cut the exhaust that is molded to them though (which I would do anyway). For steelies and hub caps you could use the wheels from the 70 RR kit (although those are later model "cop car wheels") or use the wheels/cap from the 70 RR kit. Edited by slantasaurus

I have a GTX rear end I can use. I can pull the 440-6 out of my '69 Super Bee, the only thing I need is the steelies and caps.

I don't have a 'Revell '70 Roadrunner. I haven't found any resin rims in 1/24th scale yet. I'll keep looking

Cheers, Ian

I have a GTX rear end I can use. I can pull the 440-6 out of my '69 Super Bee, the only thing I need is the steelies and caps. I don't have a 'Revell '70 Roadrunner. I haven't found any resin rims in 1/24th scale yet. I'll keep looking Cheers, Ian

Just be sure to use the air cleaner from the 71 GTX kit, the 69 Super Bee air cleaner wouldn't be correct with the rectangular pan. I remember someone on this site saying they were mastering a set of steelie wheels to cast in resin in 1/24 for the 69 Super Bee, maybe they will speak up again and sell or trade you a set.

Ron,

Nick told me its Rodney Badger, but I'm not sure how to contact him, plus Casey said he could help.. :)

Ok, now do I really need to pull the 440 out of the Super Bee? what about using the motor out of the GTX kit?

Thats a 440 as well, right? I have the air cleaner already, so that not an issue.

Keep on truckin' :)