Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ok so the other night I made this mistake of working on my new kit (32 ford) while being tired. I have a bottle of clear and white primer that both have white stickers on the lids saying what they are. I crabbed the can that said "Ultra clear" while thinking I had grabbed primer. Whent out to the garage and proceeded to spray and while spraying I thought "what the??? why does it seem like its going on so thin? am I out?" well I managed to cover a good portion of the motor in clear coat. I should have stopped there, but I didnt. I thought "Well maybe if I paint red over it Ill be ok. WRONG! So now I have a perfectly good V8 motor that I boofed up and need to strip off the paint and the clear. Im in no hurry but what works best to do this?

Thanks for the help

The purple pond should work fine especially with fresh paint. I just stripped 2 car bodies and minor parts that I painted over 10 years ago. It ate the paint within hours, but I let them sit overnight to get in the nooks and crannies and the next day they were completely clean of paint. Good to go for a new start.

if it is testors, use castrol super clean (aka purple pond etc). if its tamiya, use that stronger solution isopropol alcohol (ask for it as the drugstore). if those two dont budge other brands, use dot 3 brake fluid. all proven to remove paint relatively easily. plus you just applied it so it will come off easier than otherwise.

Man I am not finding that Purple Power anywhere yet. I may have to result to other options like that Castrol Super Clean, Isopropol Alcohol, or Dot 3 Brake Fluid. I think the "stronger" alcohol that you can get is like 97% or 98%. I need some of that anyway for something else so now it will have dual purpose.

You can also use Easy Off Oven Cleaner. It has always worked for me.

I have also painted with the wrong can. Try doing it on a body with flat black. I also used Tamiya paint for RC cars on a body and that didn't work out at all. Both were done just because I was rushing to get it done.

Castrol Super Clean is now called just "Super Clean". They changed the name for some reason. A friend of mine was looking for Castro Super Clean and couldn't find it anywhere and saw the "Super Clean" and past it up cause he was looking for Castrol Super Clean. Bummer fer sure for him. After he got the Super Clean he didn't like it and then gave it to me. Go figure. Oh well, I have two gallons instead of one now. Good fer me. Dan

i think "purple power" is CSC marketed under a different name. not even sure if the product actually exists, i have just heard to it being refered to as PP. it might have been a name used by castrol at one time because like "Future" floor wax (not a wax at all and not necessarily just for floors), it has been known by a string of names over time.

i never really used the easy off oven cleaner method but from what i have heard the thing with it is its the fumes that do the work, not the foam. so you keep that in mind when applying it.

the best part is you have not yet let the paint harden. but i would get on it and not let too many more days pass before you start stripping it.

So there is som pretty bad news.

Here is what I got...

IMAG0082-1.jpg

Here are the engines...

IMAG0081-1.jpg

Problem? Well they have sat in my "purple pond" for about 12 hours and NOTHING has come off. No red paint has shown on the white rag I am drying it off with. Im assuming this is the wrong stuff for this situation. The engine on the right is Model Masters "Chrysler Engine Red". The engine on the right is Model Masters (rattle can) "Flame Red". and not a single flake of paint has been removed from either engine.

Give it some time, but I found that Easy-Off Oven Cleaner does a good job if you let it sit long enough. In the '88 Vette I'm building, I painted it a metallic black that for some reason never dried fully. So I had to soak it in the Easy-Off to get the paint off and it took me a good 6 hours worth of soaking before a toothbrush and some elbow grease could get it all off. even then, I still needed to use a q-tip with some paint thinner to get rid the of the last remaining bits.

*Some words of caution. Easy-Off Oven Cleaner will do a number on your skin if it gets on it for even a small amount of time. WEAR GLOVES. If using a q-tip soaked in thinner, do this very lightly and don't let the thinner soak into the plastic and mush it up. I use a water soluble enamel thinner and after rubbing the last bits of paint off, I quickly ran the part under running water to make sure that the thinner didn't dissolve the plastic. End result ended up just fine.

Well i was unable to find Scalecoat II anywhere but i picked up 91% alcohol and lacquer thinner to try. I just got home and poured some alcohol into a little bowl and seconds later the paint is already dissolving off. Oh I'm so excited :)

Well I was able to strip the paint off with the 91% alcohol and then get some new paint onto the engines. I am building them both right now to see which one I like best. I think I might go with the one that isn't a flathead. i decided to paint them both with some of the leftover Model masters "Flame Red" I used on my Ferrari. So far they aren't looking bad. I cant wait till I get my airbrush which should hopefully happen in a week or two here.