Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finished Shelby Mustang GT500 (and Ford GT Roadster )

Peter Lombardo

Here is the complete3d Shelby GT500. This started life as a Revell 06 Mustang GT Kit #85-2339. The engine was donated by Revell Mustang Super Stallion kit # 85-2571 with a modified intake from the Mustang GT. Fog lights came from MV Products LS21 (HO Train Lenses). The hood opening grills came from Plano Models Products #305, HO Tank car platforms, cut down to fit the openings, painted black. The Cobra Snake scripts came from two Model Car Garage MCG 2153 Mustang Scripts. Brakes are Pegasus #1093 19'' Disc Brakes. Wheels and Tires are Pegasus #2303 23" Phat Daddies. Front grills are cut from Scale Scenics Aluminum Micro Mesh, painted black. Rocker panel stripes came from AMT 1968 Shelby Mustang, kit 3 6541. Stripes were computer cut to the correct size. Once the car was primed, sanded, painted white, sanded, painted pearl white down the center, clear coated, the vinyl stripes were installed and the car was painted Intense Blue. Once dry, tape was removed and the car was clear coated. Once dried, it was polished with wax. Brian asked me about the headers and exhaust. The headers came from the Super Stallion and the exhaust was the Mustang GT with slight modification. I made the front wheels pose able and lowered the stance but 1/8 of an inch, but if I could do it again, I would lower it even more. I am pretty happy with the result and love the fact that I beat any manufacturer to the Shelby GT500 party. The Ford GT was finished a few months ago. It is an AMT Ford GT That has opening doors and front hood, which was scratch detailed from pictures I took of the actual car in a Ford showroom. I scratch built the rear deck based upon the conversion that can be done to the actual car. The entire rear deck lid front half was rebuilt. I detailed the engine and engine bay, replaced all grills with mesh and painted the car Very Dark Purple with white decal stripes. Again, I like the way it came out, I also did a coupe version, with opening everything that was photographed by that other magazine for the NNL East picture spread. Thanks for looking. Enjoy the summer, I am.

562052395_87a17e5809.jpg

562052385_9db188d97d.jpg

562052373_09a2d45c40.jpg

562045765_4589a0283c.jpg

562045759_26f9ea2a34.jpg

562045729_05c9c1303a.jpg

562045721_094edfb855.jpg

562045707_7471de19fb.jpg

562045699_9fd1520522.jpg

561633222_1097ef7929.jpg

561633184_0c1c2a5ff0.jpg

561633138_76c2ff4b45.jpg

561633098_6f3b395fd3.jpg

561633080_f5ee5f1ac4.jpg

562052429_65875a09a7.jpg

562052419_e571e4a620.jpg

562052405_fe1448c554.jpg

Wow! Great minds think alike! You do really nice work, I especially Like the opening panels. Mine won't be as detailed but I like how it looks so far.

10DBZ-vi.jpg

14DBZ-vi.jpg

I would love to do a Mustang Cobra GT500 too. I've taken a bunch of reference shots, but so far that's as far as I've gotten. I'm definately going to follow your lead on using the Super Stallion engine.

Darin, that is REALLY nice. I think you got the "edge" details of the seat "humps" sharper, and therefore more accurate then mine. Looks really good. If I could redo mine, I think I would go with a lighter, brighter color. It is such a dynamic automobile that it needs an exciting color. In hind sight, my color choice was too subdued. When you get around to the Shelby, let me know as I have another set of vinyl stripe tape that can make the striping a little easier. I also made the rocker stripes with the computer cut vinyl but they did not work out because they were just too small for the knife blade to cut out on the vinyl. Great job, keep it going. We all need to keep pushing one another to reach a little higher everytime we build. Take a few chances, it's only plastic. It's like that Dorito commercial, "Crunch all you want, we'll make more"

Darin, that is REALLY nice. I think you got the "edge" details of the seat "humps" sharper, and therefore more accurate then mine. Looks really good. If I could redo mine, I think I would go with a lighter, brighter color. It is such a dynamic automobile that it needs an exciting color. In hind sight, my color choice was too subdued. When you get around to the Shelby, let me know as I have another set of vinyl stripe tape that can make the striping a little easier. I also made the rocker stripes with the computer cut vinyl but they did not work out because they were just too small for the knife blade to cut out on the vinyl. Great job, keep it going. We all need to keep pushing one another to reach a little higher everytime we build. Take a few chances, it's only plastic. It's like that Dorito commercial, "Crunch all you want, we'll make more"

Thanks Peter, I agree with you about the lighter brighter color. This is the car I hope to replicate. I'm hoping to figure out how to do the wheels too. with any luck they might make a 1/24 diecast of this that I might be able to pinch the wheels from...

fordgtx106_01-vi.jpg

fordgtx106_02-vi.jpg

fordgtx106_03-vi.jpg

When I do The GT500 I might hit you up for the stripes. Yours came out great. I especially think the fit around the licence plate is perfect. You Really nailed it

IMG_0996-vi.jpg

Sure, just let me know. Interesting side note. The red Shelby you sent a picture of has the word "shelby" spread across the rear. The reference shots that I had from a Mustang Mag, show it on the left side and some photos I took with my cell phone at the dealership had the same setup. It was my understanding that the version like the red car was an early prototype but what do I know? Small point, but I know how some of us get crazy over the smallest detail.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...