Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW T1 samba bus

Steven7319

hi everybody.

This is my finished samba bus. its the revell kit in 1:24.

im not at all impressed with this kit at all. The roof was badly warped and the fit was very poor in places.

but I've done my best with it and here are the results, hope you like it.

it was all box stock exept the reg plates are made out of beer can to get the thickness correct. ( thats my excuse anyway)

i left the inside clean as i like the look of it better that way.

post-9598-0-79739300-1332518630_thumb.jp

post-9598-0-42041400-1332518676_thumb.jp

post-9598-0-27860500-1332518726_thumb.jp

post-9598-0-97536000-1332518768_thumb.jp

post-9598-0-21879200-1332519860_thumb.jp

post-9598-0-38561100-1332519938_thumb.jp

REALLY nice job on the worn paint!

If you don't mind a small nit-pick, the only item that looks somewhat out of place is the kit-furnished accordian top.

Replacing that with a piece of folded fabric would be the finishing touch.

Great job......

Ken

As a fan of VWs and weathered models I really like it, especially the photography....looks like it's really on the pavement.

I agree with the above comments regarding the sunroof; my 1:1 '66 Micro was in slightly better shape, but his sunroof was worse.

I owned a `65 21 window micro-bus in the 80's. I wish I had it today... it was Yellow under White and rust free.

Your weathering is superb. You obviously know VW's as you have the rust-through at all the panel seams correct! The rust-imaging down the sides at the beams is a nice touch too. Quick question: the drip rains around the roof. Is the kit cast with the drain dips in the corners, or did you add them? For some reason, they stand out in my eye. All the details are really nice. But.....

As an unsolicited opinion, I think the wheels/tires are a bit too "tidy". A few rust scrapes and dis-coloration maybe?

Beautiful build!

Hi thanks for all the comments. I agree with people about the kit canvas roof. I have just replaced it with a material one. I will add pics tomorrow of it.

The drip drains are moulded in to the roof I'm afraid I can't take credit for that lol.

Again thanks for the comments.

Steven, uh what is NOT to like sir ? Hey, I really like what you did ! At one time , I worked in a Volkswagen shop here in Virginia and I think it's very reminiscent of what was on our streets of Virginia Commonwealth University. Ed Shaver