Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1968 Dodge Charger R/T

GeeBee

Looks very good, you are making great progress on this one. It's a shame that paintjob didn't go right on the first try, but I'm getting used to it, since almost every project of mine has at least one bath at the paint removal. Anyways the paintjob looks very good again, and bodywork you have done is very cool. I can't wait to see more of this Charger.

Well it's been a stressful time in the hobby room for the last couple of days, but calm has now been restored, the day after I had put on the clearcoat, I noticed there was a mark in the paint on the bootlid, and the metallic paint looked out of scale to me, so I spent a day sorting out the boot, by the time I had sanded the offending spot, I was down to the plastic, once that was sorted, the whole body got wetsanded, the next day the basecoat was re-applied using a smaller 0.3mm needle and then using a 0.5mm needle for the clearcoat, that this time was thinned a little more, this time I'm much happier about the finish, so it will be left alone for a week so I can get on and build up the chassis and running gear ....

FirewallPainted.jpg

BonnetinclearcoatRound2.jpg

BodyinclearcoatRound25.jpg

BodyinclearcoatRound24.jpg

BodyinclearcoatRound23.jpg

BodyinclearcoatRound22.jpg

BodyinclearcoatRound21.jpg

Got a little bit done yesterday, but not much, one thing I did notice is that the aftermarket distributor I bought didn't have the vacuum advance on it, that the kit one does, so it was a 5 second job to cut it and fit it to the aftermarket one, it will now be painted aluminium before putting on the cap, and getting the engine wired .... also got the wheels & tyres fitted together.

BothDistributors.jpg

Aftermarketdistributormodified.jpg

Whellsfinished.jpg

Edited by GeeBee

Yesterday I got most of the engine built up, I will leave the aircleaner off until I have put the decal on, the oil filter was painted white just after I took these photo's

Enginepartlybuilt3.jpg

Enginepartlybuilt2.jpg

Enginepartlybuilt1.jpg

Today I did a little work on the inner door panels, got the one finished, all the chrome is done using BMF, I will leave the other one to do in a couple of days, as sitting there with a magnifying glass, tweezers and a scapel, for what seemed like a lifetime, my head is just about to explode !!!

BMFondoorpanel1.jpg

Only spent a short time this afternoon in the hobby room, but I got the centre console done in BMF, which had to be done in 6 pieces, a single piece wouldn't fit down into the gaps without tearing .... I will paint the carpet before doing it in flocking

CentreConsoleinBMF.jpg

Edited by GeeBee

Not a great deal done today, I've started on the flocking for the carpets, I've popped on a second helping, and should be dry by the morning, I have left the excess on until the morning, then it will get tapped off, hopefully it should turn o.k, as it's only the second time I've used the stuff ...

Flockinground2.jpg

Got the engine & gearbox into the chassis and got the exhaust system lined up and fixed into place, and a very good fit it is to ... I also repainted the carb' in titanium gold,

Engineinchassis.jpg

Exhaustfitted.jpg

When all that lot was drying, I started work on the dash, as the '68 dash inset in black, not wood as in the instructions, that didn't come in until the '69 model year, before I masked off to airbrush the black, a small piece of BMF was put over the dial bezels, then the dash was masked off and airbrushed a mix of Tamiya flat black and semi gloss black, one I had airbrushed the black, I took a cotton bud dipped in Tamiya thinners and wiped away the paint on the dial surround, leaving the chrome showing though, it's a shame they didn't mold in the bezels for the smaller dials

BMFondash1.jpg

Dashpanelairbrsuhedblack1.jpg

Dashdialsinchrome6.jpg

Well the dash had dried up by this morning, and so had the interior flocking, got the seats, heater box and pedals fitted, plus the little interior lights fitted to the centre console, the dash still needs a little more detail painting

2tonedash.jpg

Interiorwithseatsfitted4.jpg

Interiorwithseatsfitted3.jpg

Interiorwithseatsfitted2.jpg

Interiorwithseatsfitted1.jpg