Model Cars Magazine Forum

Body work

Hedgehog

Guys I got my first revell 67 chevelle which is my first kit. I've got some ideas but I need help. I wanna know how to cut the fenders off and rebuild new ones but wider so that make a wider body for my car. I also need to lower my car. Thank u beforehand everyone.

There was an article in another magazine about cutting a slice in the tops of the fenders and inserting some styrene to widen out the fenders. I can't remember which issue it was but I think it was a two part article about building an old NASCAR.

Guys thank u for all the advices. I know I'm a real amateur but that's the fun of jumping into modifying and building. Since I got a lot of fresh ideas I wanna put in those cars and I know that a lot of practice will help me.

Guys thank u for all the advices. I know I'm a real amateur but that's the fun of jumping into modifying and building. Since I got a lot of fresh ideas I wanna put in those cars and I know that a lot of practice will help me.

The main reason I would advise against the major mods is you might get frustrated and decide not to build models anymore, you need to see results and jumping in feet first might really discourage you.

Guest JamesDE

I know this may not go over well with some of you, but I say go ahead and do it.... If the guy has his heart set ongoing custom bodywork, then by all means, let him do it.... After all, it's his build, not ours.... I remember getting into this hobby with no one to teach me anything. The Internet didn't come around til a couple years later. All i had to go by was SAE contest issues. Armed with testors putty and a hot knife, I attempted my first body mod of shaving door handles and tail lights.... My first lowered truck was the Lindberg 1/20 scale first gen s10.... A complete glue bomb, the suspension was all cut up and superglued like crazy.... The bed had felt that I superglued to the bed.... There was no access to Pegasus wheels or hoppin hydros at the time.... So you had to be creative and work with what you had. That truck literally laid frame with stock wheels and tires that rubbed the fenders, and I will tell you, I enjoyed building it even if it looked like ######.... So, wilbert, I say go Ahead and do your thing bro..... If you need help or advice, hit me up. Always glad to help when I can....

Edited by JamesDE

I'm with James on this one. Building a model that isn't what you want it to be just to play it safe is not going to ignite a passion in anybody.

Make grand plans and, if you fail, fail spectacularly!

Realy, if you go into it with your eyes open, knowing what you don't know (and it sounds to me like you do), then any "failure" will just be a roadmap for future improvement. Remember that Thomas Edison considered each of his thousands of unsuccesful attempts to creat a fillament for his incandescent bulb to be a succesful identification af a meathod that would not work.

You're off to a good start by consulting experienced builders. True genius lies in learning from other peoples mistakes!

I realize I haven't actually answered your question regarding widening your fenders, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to pontificate! (besides, I've never actually done it :lol: ) Check the Tips and Tricks forum; I think I saw just what you're looking for in there a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by Shardik

Thank u really thank u James and Shardik. Those comments are what I call constructive/productive comments. Really encourage me to know there are genius people out there who make great thing based on just great ideas. Keep on building everyone.

Edited by Hedgehog

I would say go for it also. I got into modeling when I was about 9 years old and we didn't have any money. I got almost all of my models in the first couple of years from friends who either couldn't put it together or smashed them. So I started out cutting up plastic just to build a whole model. It wasn't until I had been doing that for a couple of years that my mom bought me my first kit. I actually didn't know what to do with it because I never had instructions. I still remember the car, it was a 58 Chevy that I ended up cutting the nose off of it and building a new one from balsa wood. In my life I can only think of about 3 models I have done box stock.

Depending on your skill level and what you are comfortable with you might want to get another model to do as a box stock along side of your chopped custom. You can work on the stock one while stuff dries on your custom and if all else fails you will have learned a lot AND finished a complete model. I don't know how many models I have started only to find I didn't like the direction I was headed or just outright failed on... But those builds are not a failure because you just add it to your parts box for an inspiration on something else another day.

Just my 2 pennies

Bob

Edited by RobRus