Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

'85 Cutlass Resin Body

As I slot almost exactly in between Jonathan and Rob in age, I'll actually say I LOVE cars of the 1940s-60s, and even before.

Interestingly, I find the 40s to early 50s lookalike Detroit potatoes the most uninspiring cars ever built.

You can look at the 70s 80s cars any way you like, but you will have to agree, that they were still distinctive in the way, that an American car looked American, a German car looked German, a French car looked French, and a Japanese car looked Japanese. Not like today, where every car looks Chinese.

Be it as it may, the only ones catering for my generation are in fact the Japanese. And with some apparent success. Unfortunately, that leaves out all the American and European cars of the time.

I will put a few more of my fake box designs in the dreaming of kits thread over the next days.

And I urge all of you to tell me your opinion whether I have a point, or not.

Edited by Junkman

Im only 29 but i can hear where Christain is coming from. I can't fully relate because theres lots of late 80s and early to mid 90s cars for me to build. But for his slice of timeline there was some real automotive trepidation, for a lot of reasons. Hence model companies may want to gloss over many cars of that time. I think what they're forgetting is that every automotive generation tells a story. And a great way of noting such stories is in scale.

Im only 29 but i can hear where Christain is coming from. I can't fully relate because theres lots of late 80s and early to mid 90s cars for me to build. But for his slice of timeline there was some real automotive trepidation, for a lot of reasons. Hence model companies may want to gloss over many cars of that time. I think what they're forgetting is that every automotive generation tells a story. And a great way of noting such stories is in scale.

You exactly got my point. Thanks for expressing it much better than I seem to be able to.

Interestingly, I find the 40s to early 50s lookalike Detroit potatoes the most uninspiring cars ever built.

You can look at the 70s 80s cars any way you like, but you will have to agree, that they were still distinctive in the way, that an American car looked American, a German car looked German, a French car looked French, and a Japanese car looked Japanese. Not like today, where every car looks Chinese.

Be it as it may, the only ones catering for my generation are in fact the Japanese. And with some apparent success. Unfortunately, that leaves out all the American and European cars of the time.

I will put a few more of my fake box designs in the dreaming of kits thread over the next days.

And I urge all of you to tell me your opinion whether I have a point, or not.

Both of are you are right on the money, and I feel the same way, and I have nothing against them being kitted, but I just want the model company s to start looking at the 70s-90s a little more, for while they did, but now they seem to have forgotten all about that era of cars again.

But intell the US model company's do that, most of my money for kits well go to the Japaneses company's, I am one of those person's that builds what I know and what I have been around or grew up with.

Both of are you are right on the money, and I feel the same way, and I have nothing against them being kitted, but I just want the model company s to start looking at the 70s-90s a little more, for while they did, but now they seem to have forgotten all about that era of cars again.

But intell the US model company's do that, most of my money for kits well go to the Japaneses company's, I am one of those person's that builds what I know and what I have been around or grew up with.

Just look at my latest acquisitions in the what did you get today thread. An '84 Supra and a C31 Laurel. That should put some weight towards our point.

And yes, I'd order any 80s Cutlass kit TODAY! But a naked body carved from curd soap for 100 federal reserve notes, plus postage, plus whatever her Majesty's myrmidons see fit to rip me off with on top of that? No, thanks. I'd probably get a real one for that kind of dough.

I owned an 83 Regal coupe with a V8 earlier this millenium. Drove it to Romania and back several times and enjoyed every single mile. Those G-bodies were darn good cars.

I think what they're forgetting is that every automotive generation tells a story. And a great way of noting such stories is in scale.

A very true and wise statement.

Although I think a lot of the stories of 1970s-80s cars are ones of confusion and misread queues, they do also tell the story of what happens when too many cooks attempt to stir the pot.

There were some nice cars, and some that were well-designed and thought out, to be sure, but many were, as noted, a product of their times- confusion, panic, a loss of our collective way.

They deserve to be memorialized...as much as they are part of history as to remind us all that we were in a dark place automotively-speaking, and while there's some debate as to whether we still are or not, they were what pointed us to where we are now.

Charlie Larkin

Haven grown up as a teen in the 80's who grew up around these cars and some of the 70's boats "like my 75 buick regal"I would love to see some of these as kits,I know the 32fords and the tri fives plus 60's stangs and camaros our popularbut its time to move in to diffrent areas guys lets go backto when you made promos of whats on the showroom floors or stuff thats not boring anymore.

That being said I would buy a case of cutlass supremes of any year in the 80's just to make the ones I want.

They deserve to be memorialized...as much as they are part of history as to remind us all that we were in a dark place automotively-speaking, and while there's some debate as to whether we still are or not, they were what pointed us to where we are now.

Charlie Larkin

well put charlie, and thanks to the downsizing of the american auto we got the Fox platform, and a lot of folks saw that and the 5.0 as a sign that fast could be ok again. But i fancy those so maybe im biased lol..

thought i'd lighten the mood a bit.

First and foremost, the 70s gave us the largest American cars ever to be delivered to the general public. They are standalones in automotive history and they will never ever be surpassed in size. If this alone doesn't make them historically significant, you tell me what should.

This was followed by drastic measures to make cars more efficient. The switch to electronic drivetrain management happened in the early 80s. If this wouldn't have happened, we problably would not be driving cars at all nowadays.

Do not underestimate the historic significance of the 70s and 80s cars.

But that shouldn't even be used as a justification for them being offered as model kits, because only one justification is necessary:

We want them, that's the point!

So can I get my 80s Cutlass kit anywhen soon, then? Junkman says PLEASE!

Edited by Junkman

Olds or Buick, those G-body coupes sold very well in Europe, too. They were not too big, but still recognizeably American enough to set you apart. Add to this the NASCAR exposure, when NASCAR was still all about mangled sheetmetal if you liked to win.

I daresay, G-body coupes are the Tri-Chevies of the 80s. They definitely are on the radar of the geeks who seek cheap V8 power in a body-on-frame package.

C'mon guys, you are out there and you know who you are!

Edited by Junkman

Olds or Buick, those G-body coupes sold very well in Europe, too. They were not too big, but still recognizeably American enough to set you apart. Add to this the NASCAR exposure, when NASCAR was still all about mangled sheetmetal if you liked to win.

I daresay, G-body coupes are the Tri-Chevies of the 80s. They definitely are on the radar of the geeks who seek cheap V8 power in a body-on-frame package.

C'mon guys, you are out there and you know who you are!

Yes we are out here, but guess who isnt listening to us?