Model Cars Magazine Forum

My First Rusty Weathered Cars! Two Rusty Chevys

Mick5s

Hey All

Just got all my stuff in and practiced some painting methods and whatnot on these first two models. These are my first pretty much ever and definitely the first weathering.

On the roof of the Impala I tried a salt and hairspray technique, but until my airbrush comes it is very hard to get good results. That also goes for most of the other painting too. The salt gets in the brush and then it's all downhill from there.

I think the hood on the Impala came out nicely, but the rest of it could be much better-- same with the Bel Air. But hey, it's my first try! practice makes perfect!

Tell me what you think! & any suggestions!

2ah9zjm.jpg

2yv9ra9.jpg

4l6r6u.jpg

huhb0k.jpg

11kdyex.jpg

The tarp / car cover on the Bel Air still needs painting!!!

2lstw8.jpg

2qas7ja.jpg

11qieq8.jpg

jt1mc2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think it lookd great, you are off to a great start, I think it takes more to get the rusty look then to do shiny

Yes, I find much more of a challenge in producing a damaged, rusted or distressed model than one with a shiny show-room finish.

These are a couple good examples of balanced and believable rust, weathering and damage, excellent work!

David G.