Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 rat rod

Brendan30

Man I really like where you are at with this build. However one thing really bugs me. The engine. It all looks like it's the same color(s), identical weathering on all parts of it. That seems a bit unrealitic. I think you need to add some contrast. Parts that have weathered differently and pull your eye toward them as stand out detail. Just food for thought.

Man I really like where you are at with this build. However one thing really bugs me. The engine. It all looks like it's the same color(s), identical weathering on all parts of it. That seems a bit unrealitic. I think you need to add some contrast. Parts that have weathered differently and pull your eye toward them as stand out detail. Just food for thought.

I agree, any suggestions?

hey thanks Rob, Thank God for the air brush - I can get in those tiny spaces easily and change the color in a snap. Headed to Maryland tomorrow for the Mid Atlantic NNL. Looking forward to it and seeing R&M there.

I don't know whether you can tell or not but I hazed across the windshield lightly with a khaki colored tamiya paint so it looks like the windows are dirty I did the same with the head lights and little around the body. It looks better in person the iPhone photos look better on the phone than they do once uploaded.

brendan, what i usually do with the glass is mask off where the wipers would make a clean pass, and then hold it back about 3 feet and lightly shoot it with dullcoat.(very lightly) then lightly hit it with some grungy grey or brown powders...

i use the same technique on chrome too, it seems to work out .

keep it going, lookin good!

cheers

bryan

Thanks for the tip, I saw the windshield wiper marks on another model somewhere- how do u get the stippled look on chrome bumpers etc with the air brush? I am trying to do it on some spare parts laying around but I can't seem to get it is it the pressure shooting through the brush? how thin or thick the paint is? needle size etc..? any help would be appreciated. I looked at few videos on your youtube page Dr. but can't seem to master it. Thanks for the help!

Brendan, i use the same technique on the bumpers and trim to get that "pitted rust" look. just hold the part back about 2 feet or so, and lightly dust it with dullcoat, and then hit it with rust powders, i use mig pigments, and doc obriens stuff.

for heavier looking rust,shoot on some model master rust (or whatever you prefer to use) and then while it is still wet lightly sprinkle on some baking soda, let it dry, and blow off the excess. thin out your rust color (like you would do a wash) and go back over the bakin soda with it to color it, and then hit it with dullcoat again to seal it, its important to seal it or it will turn white again...

lemme dig up a decent pic of a bumper i did and ill post it.....

cheers

bryan