Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bentley Speed 8

Scale-Master

I spent a few hours to clean up the flashed over but low pin-holed resin body casting. Forming the brass fender louver panels and bending the actual louvers was a bit tedious, and I was a little surprised that I had to rework the right side recessed area of the body/fender so the panel could even be close to fitting semi-flush.

DSC09973.jpg

DSC09972.jpg

The chassis is all brass which I soldered together.

DSC09983.jpg

DSC09984.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The interior is done. I tried using the lead foil from a wine bottle as directed by the instructions for the seat belts this time. In some ways it is easier than tape (like I usually use) to work with, other ways a little more work. It looks a bit heavy in 1/43, but it also makes it pop. That might be a good thing once it is all inside the car.

DSC00182.jpg

DSC00183.jpg

The buckles come in the kit. The PE in this kit is great, and there is a lot of it. But some of it does not fit well, especially where it needs to fit to resin parts.

The dash (and front splitter and rear wing uprights) are decaled with C/F decal that aslo came in the kit. ScaleMotorsports makes some nice C/F decals and has them in 1/43rd.

Thanks, Mark. The CF was so subtle, I thought it may have been a paint technique. I've used SM's CF in 1/24 before and it was good stuff. I'll have to get a sheet of the 1/43 in case another one of these builds comes across my workbench.

Last week I uncorked a bottle of wine for my wife and her friends at her scrapbook party (those girls know how to do their hobby!) and I was holding the lead foil in my hands thinking it was a pretty interesting, but never thought of using it in modeling. But after seeing your belts, I'll definitely hold on to some next time. Lots of uses start coming to mind.

-Art

What wine has lead foil these days??? I'm not a wine drinker, but the few times I've looked for it, I found what looks like plastic-coated aluminum.

You know, I think you are absolutely right. The instructions (English as a second or third language) called it lead and I followed along. But I noticed a plastic "skin" on the stuff I used. And it was a tad bit more brittle than I expected lead to be. It is a very maliable aluminum and worth experimenting further with...