Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kenworth Needlenose flatbedtruck W.I.P.

Hi there,

while I´m working on my hobbyroom after the waterdamage I started with another truckproject I´ve thought about a long time.

The base for the conversion was the Revell Kenworth W-900 Dumptruck.I shortened the hood,converted it into a needle nose,scratchbuilt the fenders andalso the flatbed.First I wanted to use the bed from the Ford C-600 Staketruck but it was too small and short.The bed was made from evergreen-profile and balsawood.The wheels came from an Italerie truck.Still a lot of work to do but my hobbyroom will be finished this weekend so I could spray some basecoat to this truck and the Pete COE.

kenflatbed001.jpg

smaller and shorter hood

kenflatbed006.jpg

first front fender

kenflatbed009.jpg

the bed

kenflatbed012.jpg

kenflatbed015.jpg

scratchbuilt exhaust from styrene tubing.

Still needs a lot of scratchbuilding but things will go on.

Hi Dave,

thanks for the compliments.

Yes,I thought about backdating the cab but didn´t know what the differences are.I think it´s a little bit lower and the windows are smaller and also the doors don´t have round corners....And the doorhandle sits under the side windows and not where they are on the model....are there other differences?

Chris,

I don't know what all the differences are but Tim modified the cab on his Alaskan hauler Kenworth to an older look. It looks really good with the light weathering. If you look through his web site you will find it. I know Matt Burnett makes an old Kenworth Conventional with a tilt hood from the late 50s 60s with an old style cab. I bought a kit from him some time ago, but don't know when I'll get around to building it. The cab looks much smaller than the revel and AMT Kenworth cabs. Good Luck with the rest of the project.

Hi there,

Tim, about four weeks ago we had a heavy rain outside and the water came back trough the toilet,shower etc.....it "flooded" the basement of my house where the hobbyroom is at a hight of about 25 cm....most of the wooden furniture,PC and the Laminat on the floor was damaged.So I have to redo it all that took about 2 weeks....than I got ill and had to keep the bed about one week maybe because I pulled out the water that evening without shoes on...lol....

arbeitsplatz005.jpg

That´s how one of the rooms looked after the water was gone and has dried out......

arbeitsplatz006.jpg

And that´s how the room is looking after I made all new......lol,now I made tiles to the floor,no more wooden floorcovering.....

arbeitsplatz007.jpg

another view of the room.....

We have rented the rooms for some time but after that I used it for my hobby....about 50 square meters for meeting with friends and building models.....

We made some changes to the installation and now it´s save.....I hope so...The insurance only paied 1000 euro for all the damage and work....but I could make all of it by myself......and now it´s time for building models.....

I was busy the last week and started some new build......but they are in 1:87 HO scale....

streetscene001.jpg

@NorthWest29: I have only one picture from a book called Kenworth Trucks at work.....I got it from amazon,so it´s only made by looking this and some pictures on Hanks Truckpictures.....I build two of those needlenose Kenworth but they´ll getteing better with every model

w_921_005.jpg

First one built in 2001

56dump003.jpg

Second one built in 2003

and thanks for the nice compliments to everyone.....

Guest Anthony Oteri

The KW is looking great Chris. It's too bad about your flood but you did a great job fixing things up. Lets hope you won't have to do it again!

Hi there,

thanks for the kind words....

Last week I got my new computer aided machine and just started to make some tries.

fraese.jpg

I added some parts to the bed of the truck and made the whole parts for the trailer with that machine.First I had to make some drawings on my PC and than let the machine work....

kenflatbed016.jpg

kenflatbed017.jpg

kenflatbed018.jpg

While I´m working on this prototype of trailer and bed I´m changing some of the drawings for better and faster work.....

Scott,yes,you are right...there are a lot of trucks I´ve posted during the last years....

JimB I think it´s a Kenworth W-model but I don´t know which number,maybe a 925....but I could be wrong.

Hi there,

thanks for the kind words....

Last week I got my new computer aided machine and just started to make some tries.

fraese.jpg

I added some parts to the bed of the truck and made the whole parts for the trailer with that machine.First I had to make some drawings on my PC and than let the machine work....

kenflatbed016.jpg

kenflatbed017.jpg

kenflatbed018.jpg

While I´m working on this prototype of trailer and bed I´m changing some of the drawings for better and faster work.....

Scott,yes,you are right...there are a lot of trucks I´ve posted during the last years....

JimB I think it´s a Kenworth W-model but I don´t know which number,maybe a 925....but I could be wrong.

Chris, you have it looking really great and boy would I like to have a "hobbie room" so nice as your's. I like the others sure hope you do NOT have another flood! At least not this century :P

Tell us more about this new computer aided machine. Name, model where you got it, what you plan to do with it and how do you use it. Maybe even a short tutorial?? Sounds like it has some very exciting possibilities for our hobby.

Chris, you have it looking really great and boy would I like to have a "hobbie room" so nice as your's. I like the others sure hope you do NOT have another flood! At least not this century ;)

Tell us more about this new computer aided machine. Name, model where you got it, what you plan to do with it and how do you use it. Maybe even a short tutorial?? Sounds like it has some very exciting possibilities for our hobby.

Okay,

I´ll take some pictures of the milling machine and tell you some details.

I found it on ebay Germany and went to the shop of that man....It´s a CNC-Micro drilling machine.Lot´s of things to do with it but first I have to make some drawings on my PC.....It costs me about 2800,- Euro....More information will follow,soon.

Cheers,Chris

Hi there,

okay,let me try a short explanation what the machine does and how it works.

fraese.jpg

okay,the milling machine is connected to the computer network at our house....only 4 PC.

First I have to make a drawing on the computer for example with corel draw or an CAD program like Auto CAD ( I don´t have it because it´s very expensive)

With Corel you could only make some 2D drawings.(Auto-Cad could make 3D)

The machine could make 2D and 3D.

This is the drawing I made with corel draw.

flatbedtrailer1.jpg

It´s the correct scale on the computer.Than you have to open it with the software control for the machine on PC.

You have to fond out the correct point where the machine has to start and than you can go.......after about 15 min the parts are ready and you could start to build the model....

Abd here is what I made with those parts as a first try:

kenflatbed016.jpg

kenflatbed017.jpg

I have just started to try out what are the possibilities of that machine,but you could make other trailer parts and I think also windoframes for dioramas and special rims for modelcars and also things for smaller scales,maybe 1:87.

You could mill in styrene,wood,aluminium....

I want to build my old Gas Station also in 1/87 scale and I´ll try to cut the windowframes wiht the milling machine....A lot of things....but always have to make the drawings...the the most time intensive part of the whole thing. When I get really frim with that machine I want to build modelkitparts etc for sale....but I´m only in the test period at this time.....

So I hope,you could understand my explanation...feel free to ask or if you want me to make some parts as a try please contact me......

Cheers,Chris

Hi there,

okay,let me try a short explanation what the machine does and how it works.

fraese.jpg

okay,the milling machine is connected to the computer network at our house....only 4 PC.

First I have to make a drawing on the computer for example with corel draw or an CAD program like Auto CAD ( I don´t have it because it´s very expensive)

With Corel you could only make some 2D drawings.(Auto-Cad could make 3D)

The machine could make 2D and 3D.

This is the drawing I made with corel draw.

flatbedtrailer1.jpg

It´s the correct scale on the computer.Than you have to open it with the software control for the machine on PC.

You have to fond out the correct point where the machine has to start and than you can go.......after about 15 min the parts are ready and you could start to build the model....

Abd here is what I made with those parts as a first try:

kenflatbed016.jpg

kenflatbed017.jpg

I have just started to try out what are the possibilities of that machine,but you could make other trailer parts and I think also windoframes for dioramas and special rims for modelcars and also things for smaller scales,maybe 1:87.

You could mill in styrene,wood,aluminium....

I want to build my old Gas Station also in 1/87 scale and I´ll try to cut the windowframes wiht the milling machine....A lot of things....but always have to make the drawings...the the most time intensive part of the whole thing. When I get really frim with that machine I want to build modelkitparts etc for sale....but I´m only in the test period at this time.....

So I hope,you could understand my explanation...feel free to ask or if you want me to make some parts as a try please contact me......

Cheers,Chris

Greetings Chris -

Thanks for the general overview of the new machine and how you are using it. Wow, if you will be doing more than one version of anything, especially if it is custom, once you get it drawn all you have to do is drink coffee and watch that TV you have while it does all the work. :P

A very nice item to have at your disposal and it really sounds like you'll be getting a lot of use out of it given the future projects you have planned.

Thanks for sharing - oh, and I understood you just fine.

Wow, that is really cool Chris. I wish I had something like that to model my Utility flatbed that I pull everyday. The parts are cut from a big plastic sheet, right? Where did you get that big of a sheet? Anyway, fantastic job. I like these West Coast trucks.