Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 GTO Junker!

Odaroloc24

So here's the story. I got this model from my dad and i loved it because i didn't have a 67 at the time. So i open it up and there is a 1970 GTO front end! :wacko: :wacko: There were also some other parts to different car as well. So i tried to build it as best as possible. I built the engine and painted the body. The body it TERRIBLE! I first painted it a color that i cant remember then i painted it black. Didn't like it. So i then panted it red but again, didn't like it but instead of waiting for the WHOLE car to dry i went ahead and started to sand it again! LOL. The paint wasn't dry so it didn't sand so it looked looked a mess. So now i am going to try my hand at rusting it. :lol: :lol: Lets see how this goes. :P

Will post pics later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well i haven't been on here in a while. After i came back from came had about a week to finish the two projects i was taking tot he 4-H fair. I finished them the day before the fair but im going to go back and find all of the pics I took of them and go through the story for all of you. I have a few pics here but i have to go find the others on another computer.

So here is how i left it for a while.

DSC04842.jpg

Here are some pics of the supplies i used for the rusting process.

DSC04846.jpg

I also used this

DSC04845.jpg

Ok so first i sanded the rough bumpy places down until almost smooth and just lightly sanded the whole body. Then i took a lighter and heated and dented any place i wanted a dent. I also took me dremel and cut away rust holes and anywhere that i didnt want plastic to be. I then took the brown and put a heavy coat on. I then sprinkled table salt on it. After that dried, i put a coat of yellow on it. When the yellow dries, i took the iron solution paint and painted anywhere that i wanted rust to form. When i got it how i liked it i covered the iron paint with rubber cement.

Heres how it looked then

DSC04859.jpgDSC04858.jpgDSC04857.jpgDSC04856.jpgDSC04855.jpgDSC04854.jpg

Thats all the pics i have now but will go find the others later today.

Mike

Found some more pics

So after I put the rubber cement on, i put a coat of light blue. This is the color i wanted the final to be.

DSC04870.jpgDSC04871.jpg

After i did that i painted the iron paint on my rims and then put the Rust solution on it. The rust solution is just Ammonium Chloride and Copper Sulfate. I then put it in a plastic bag for 24 hours and this is what i came out with.

DSC04873.jpgDSC04874.jpg

Will post the rest here in a sec. They only let me post so many pics at a time. :)

I also melted the tires a bit to try to give it a flat tire look.

Mike

Edited by Odaroloc24

So the reason why i put the rubber cement on was because you need to open up the places where you put the iron solution. The way i did this was i took some duck tape and places it on the paint and then pulled it off.

DSC04875.jpgDSC04876.jpg

This is what it looked like with all of the iron paint exposed.

DSC04895.jpgDSC04896.jpg

Then i sanded all of the pieces of salt out of the paint.

I then wrapped it in a plastic bag and waited for 24 hours.

Here it is after 24 hours.

DSC04946.jpgDSC04947.jpgDSC04948.jpg

I have to go find some more pics of the final product.

Mike

Looks Good Michael... I remmeber my first Junker using sophisticated Finishes... Since then I've found new ways of using The product. and mixing it up with other weathering products... Again Great Job... Red

Thanks! What other products did you mix it with??