Model Cars Magazine Forum

In progress 1/16 Charger Stock car- NEW PICTURES...

DR JAY

A little Darkside for ya- The 1/16 Dukes Of Hazzard kit provided the basis for this project and here's a few shots of what I have so far. There are many hours to go on this one, but I'm slowly getting things done; shift work makes things interesting!

UPDATED PICTURES!... I've been able to get a little more done and have updated the album with some new pics. Body is painted and gassing out.I've found that my limited available time has affected the final quality of some stuff,and I can do better, so I've decided to do this one as practice for a full blown 1/16 Cotton Owens Charger 500 in the future.

http://s1177.photobucket.com/albums/x357/drjay2/1969%20Grand%20National%20Dodge%20Charger%20Project/

Edited by DR JAY

Very impressive work that you've done . I've never gotten this involved in scratch building , but would really like to give it a try .

I really like the little details you have done like the seat mounting plates . The rear shock mounts look great too !

What are your plans for the front suspension ? The kit pieces sure need some help .

I look forward to seeing more as you progress with this build .

BOB .

The front suspension parts got the same scale reinforcement treatment that the 1:1 Nichels Engineering parts did.The control arms were actually pretty close in appearance and accuracy. I had to make proper radius rods and sway bar stuff like arms and end links.The steering linkage was modified to include a pitman arm and idler arm and the steering gear was modified to look more like a steering gear. This kit is a good start for a larger scale stock car, but it still needs a LOT of attention to make it better.If I did it over again I would completely fabricate the floor and chassis from scratch-it would have been alot easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great so far. It's almost as much work scratch building a model as it is working on the real thing.

You're not kidding...when I used to be a career technician there was an occasion when a customer brought in a car for me to "restore" for him...a complete delete 1966 427-4speed Vette that was converted to a drag car by a rich oil magnate in Texas when it was brand new. All of the street-legal stuff (E-brakes, exhaust lights, etc.) was missing or disabled and the car was a mess. Even though he supplied the matching #'s parts and pieces like carb, intake heads& exhaust, ALL new brake system(Complete) and other stuff....I still billed out less time for the job than I had invested in some of my models. It takes way less time to bolt stuff together than it does to DESIGN and MAKE the parts before bolting them together...

...as an aside, when I was finished the car went to the Vette show in Bloomington where it won some awards before he traded it on the spot for a freshly restored 69 427-4 speed convertible AND a massive stack of cash. I guess I did OK!

Shift/on-call work is cutting into my building time. I've done some painting and decaling as well as the tedious work of making all of the fuel and oil lines (I use hex rod) and will post some pictures right after I take them!

• 2 weeks later...