Model Cars Magazine Forum

Promolite Products better Than Excellent!

I received a package from Tom Coolidge at Promolite Resins a few days ago and have been meaning to post about the products. I had enquired awhile back based on something that i read somewhere and I emailed Tom and asked if he had a cast roof for a '59/60 2 door sedan ( post ). I bought a resin 2 door sedan awhile ago off of Evay but it is simply a hardtop with a post but there is just too much wrong as far as accuracy goes for me to be happy with it.

That casting was pretty clean - no complaints there at all - but the car looks kind of off :unsure: with the lower Impala coupe roofline and the extra long rear deck lid that was unique to the Impala Sport Coupe ( 2 door hardtop). The rear window on the hardtop is also larger than on a sedan and I really wanted to build several proper looking and fairly accurate 2 door sedans - a Utility Sedan that was used by salesmen and had no rear seat - an RCMP police cruiser circa 1958-60 - and a plain 2 door post family sedan. What i had received just was n ot acceptable for what I wanted and I am not that good at fabricating and drilling and blasting.

So, I contacted Tom who is really a fantastic guy with a wonderful personality and he cast three roofs and the needed proper glass and man, these things are to die for! I just received a resin '57 Ford Squire wagon and again, the body was excellent but the interior tub is a toughy with some issues that I am not very pleased with, but I can try to do something to straighten the warped bucket or as the seller suggested when I contacted him, "just black the windows out and make it a curbside" - something that I will try avoid doing at all costs. :mellow:

I plan to order several kits in the very near future from Tom and i have absolutely NO hesitation in doing so, based on the cleanliness and beauty of what he sent me. He is very professional, coureous and he loves old cars - my kind of guy! I'd recommend his products to anyone and I am pretty sure that anyone who has dealt with him will support my views. If you read this post Tom, thank you :) and you'll definitely be sending a few more packages to my address in the coming weeks and months. Itls good to find someone who you just KNOW is going to put a smile on your face :D when you open what they send you.

I have known Tom Coolidge for many years and I have several of his products. There just isn't enough you can say (all good) about his Promolite resin products. Always dead-on accurate, accurately and cleanly cast, and the man is the epitomy of excellent customer service.

Buy Promolite in confidence ~ it's as good as any you can get.

B)

Could not agree more. I only have two of Tom's castings, both '61 Plymouth Fury hardtops, but they were both very nicely done and cleanly cast, even though they were done at the end of the production run for this particular kit and Tom worried casting quality would not be up to snuff. All I had to do was clean up a little flash, prep and paint them, and I was good to go.

zz2vi1-vi.jpg

Is there a website or address where one could get a catalog or idea of what is available? I am glad for the ringing endorsements members have posted and it gives me confidence to buy, just want to see what is available.

Here's his Fotki link- his email should be in the 'About Me' area.

http://public.fotki.com/tomcoolidge/promolite-product-list/

• 11 months later...

I just ordered a kit from Tom Coolidge at Promolite 2000 resins. The whole experience of this order was great. Beautiful castings without much clean-up, extra parts (in case you screw up), and a good man to deal with. I would highly recommend this company and gentleman for your next resin purchase. If you need help finding him or Promolite2000 PM me.

I have a bunch of Tom's stuff. All are of great quality. Just looking at his Fotki album on his casting techniques you know that what you get will be good! BTW, what '59 Chevy sedan kit did you get? I've got one of his roof transkits, but I also have a Hendrix sedan. I haven't gotten it out to look in a long time.

Nic