Model Cars Magazine Forum

LED Auto Transporter

This build took me over 4 months. Over 240 hours. Instaud 49 LED's. Scratch built the upper and lower racks on the rig. Streched the chassis to put in the sleeper cab that the kit didn't come with. Lowered the fifth wheel to align with the trailer. On the trailer I scratch built all the front lower framing to lower the king pin and hide the batteries. Built outer framing for the LED's.

post-7672-0-39037000-1338348497_thumb.jp

post-7672-0-69796200-1338348599_thumb.jp

post-7672-0-75025100-1338348730_thumb.jp

post-7672-0-14719100-1338348848_thumb.jp

post-7672-0-57209000-1338348925_thumb.jp

post-7672-0-91198700-1338349028_thumb.jp

Nice! Looks like you modified the Revell KW wrecker. I wonder why many more truck modelers don't use LEDs. The Italeri kits are just about made for this modification. The Italeri Facebook page has a number of modeler's subjects with LEDs.

Edited by chuckyr

It seems you know the kit. The Italeri kits are great for putting LED's in. I'm working on one right now. It's the LA Fire Department Recovery Truck. A little stuck on lighting up the bullet lights but I'm figuring it out. I drilled from underneith in an angle so the hole came right out of the front and glued in place. Tomarrow I will drill from the front straight threw the cab for the LED's.

It seems you know the kit. The Italeri kits are great for putting LED's in. I'm working on one right now. It's the LA Fire Department Recovery Truck. A little stuck on lighting up the bullet lights but I'm figuring it out. I drilled from underneith in an angle so the hole came right out of the front and glued in place. Tomarrow I will drill from the front straight threw the cab for the LED's.

This one might encourage you or discourage you!

Not sure on

Thanks guys.

Hay TJ. Do you think that remote control auto transporter would work with my trailer? I was thinking on going to radio shack and getting a 1/25 RC car to convert to a big rig.

Not sure. But that rig is from the late 70s early 80s so good luck on finding it. I think it had some functioning lighting. Someone on the forum here is building a 1:24 or 25 semi into RC so you might check it out. It is in the big rig section somewhere.

I am the one building the RC semi, here is the link if you havn't checked it out already http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57846

I checked out your thread because I will be putting 80 to 100 or more LED's on my truck and trailer. Feel free to ask any questions because I may have some for you when I get around to the lights.

i did one a few years ago and i used fiber optic cable with one of the leds as a source for bullet lights, drilled a hole in the roof and drilled out part of the bullet to feed through

I just did the whole set up for that and used mini LED's. It didn't work so well. I wish I would have thought of fiber optics. The holes I drilled were perfect to slide the cable into. The chrome for the bullet lights are on. I dremeled them down to a perfect 45 degree angle in the front. Planing to use 1/4W LED's, I filed a notch in all 5 to fit the lip of the LED's. Did a test and I think it's gonna work. Just waiting for the transparent amber paint to dry to finish.

Thanks for that tip. I gotta put that on my list.

I dont remember the exact sizes I had used but if my memory serves me correct it was 2mm. my pap had a fiber optic variety kit he bought for my gram to do one of those christmas trees and it had 5 or 6 different sizes but im strong on saying it would have been 2mm, i wish i still had the truck of photos of it because i have a fire engine i plan to light up with fiber op and strobe kits

I have a few, new alf eagles which will be simple. alf century cab(still need to fab the body) which i have custom front rotators for and a few older alf kits

plus a SSB Resins FDNY Squad kit that will be done up for Squad 252.....

been on hold for a few years due to work but ill have time to start them on my vacation til mid july.

If i can locate at least the packaging it came in i can list all the sizes of fiber cable i had