Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for kit suggestions to get wheels from

Morning all , I'm looking for some wheels and drag slicks to use on this build , the body is from my first attempt at a drag mini over 20 yearss ago and the chassis is from a lot of plastic I got in a swap (yes Marshie , I'm onto this one now) . The slicks I had used before are too big , they measure 35mm in diameter and 20mm wide each tyre . The space I have inside the body/chassis is for wheels 30mm in diameter and total width 46mm (but have to fit the diff as well as the wheels so probably can get away with a wheel/tyre that's 15mm wide and 30mm diameter . Has anyone got any ideas what kit would have something this size that I can find down here (in Aus , bit too far away to trade with anyone up there so more looking for info than a trade) ? Also after advice on some smaller fronts too , these are 25mm diameter by 5mm wide , the width is fine but a bit smaller diamter would look better . Thank's for the input .

front-6.jpg

side-2.jpg

The front wheels (and tires?) appear to be the Monogram 1/24 scale Pro Stock and Funny Car wheels (and Goodyear Frontrunner tires?), is that correct, Ian?

If the rear tires are Monogram, too, they will be way too big for a mini.

I will check if I have anything within your size requirements.

Ian, these are JoHan slicks, with Goodyear lettering on one side and M&H on the other, but being 1/25 scale I think they would work for your Mini:

slicks2.jpg

slicks1.jpg

O.D. = 28.42mm

Tread width = 9.923mm

Overall sidewall-to-sidewall max width = 12.005mm

Wheel bore I.D. = 15.80mm

These were the only tires I found which have a smaller O.D. than the Goodyear Frontrunner tires you're currently using:

slicks3.jpg

slicks4.jpg

^^ These tires are from the 1/32 Revell Shelby GT500 Snap Tite kit.

The AMT '66 Nova pro street has some smaller slicks than those Monograms. The old Revell pro street kits like the '87 T-Bird, Beretta, Corvette and Lincoln LSC have the smallest front tires I've found.

No worries Andy , that Crossley must have been an odd looking vehicle :D

Thank's Casey , I'll have a bit of a search for those slicks , I didn't think of 1:25 scale to be a bit smaller . I'm also searching through a slotcar site now for other alternatives as well . Where there ever any 1:35 scale drag cars produced ?

Not that I've ever seen Christian but I'll have a search (plus it'll be a good one to build with different wheels after stealing it's wheels too ) , thank's .

Thank's Roger , I'll have a look for them too .

I'm also waiting for a reply from the parts box to see what they have .

I'm also searching through a slotcar site now for other alternatives as well . Where there ever any 1:35 scale drag cars produced ?

I don't think so, as 1/35 is mostly a military scale, but there were a few 1/32 Funny Cars from Monogram which included some decent hard plastic two-piece Goodyear slicks.

If you don't need slicks, I'd say look out for the smaller rear tires from the older Revellogram sprint cars(each kit had a larger and smaller tire for the rear). The larger ones would for sure be too big, but I reckon the smaller ones would look the business.

Thank's guy's , Bart , I didn't think of other types of slicks other then from hotrods , I'll have a look at Nascar ones as well .

Dave , I built a winged speedway car many years ago , never thought of the smaller wheel from it , will seee if I can find it for size comparrison .

Thank's Casey , more to have a look at :)

Thank's guy's , Bart , I didn't think of other types of slicks other then from hotrods , I'll have a look at Nascar ones as well .

Dave , I built a winged speedway car many years ago , never thought of the smaller wheel from it , will seee if I can find it for size comparrison .

Thank's Casey , more to have a look at :)

If you want to try the NASCAR tires, let me know, I have some that I wont use