Model Cars Magazine Forum

Le mans Mazda 767b

keepleft

with le mans running within the week and my confidence high I am going to attempt to build one of my favorite group c cars!

I am sure most of you know this but this car is not the "more famous" 787b this is the earlier version and more successful 767b. (i plan to build both)

In 1989 Mazda put three 767B's on the Le mans GTP class, all three completed the run and made a exclusive victory winning the first, second and third prizes.

This is a Hasegawa kit, original release in 1990, the decals are good and everything seems to be good, the body does have a lot of sinc marks but nothing to bad!

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0636.jpgIMG_0637.jpgIMG_0638.jpgIMG_0639.jpgIMG_0640.jpg

I really want to take my time with this model and do everything slowly and neat!

hey glenn, not in this kit not i wish! after all it was the rotary engine that ultimately won the race for the Mazdas!

the tamiya kit for the 787b has the rotary engine included

Edited by keepleft

wheels got a scrubbing with 180 sandpaper to make them look more like race slick's. brakes got slight weathering with silver then dark grey lightly brushed over. the tire transfers proved to be tricky but they all turned out fine! I am extremely happy with the wheels!

IMG_0641.jpgIMG_0642.jpg

scrubbed vs non- scrubbed

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

front vs rear wheel

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

Dash is also done, took me awhile to get all the detail correct from photos, it was hard to find photos of the 767b cockpit, I am happy with the result let me know what you guys think.

without decal

IMG_0646.jpgIMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

with decal

IMG_0652.jpg

all together

IMG_0653.jpg

not much of an update, so far I have finnished painting the body, sideskirts, and undertray, the windows and the dash

these are the windows, masked, sprayed in matt black and the end result

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

this is the body sanded, sprayed in primer then sand, spray, repeat!

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0656-1.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

I hate masking...

I have decided to ditch the decals and spray the green/ black patterns, easier said than done!

the hardest part was making sure I have every curve and line at the correct angle and to make sure it was symmetrical.

masking out the green

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

I missed the two little air intakes on the rear of the car and I ended up with over spray :(

IMG_0673.jpg

In front of the windscreen there is a black diamond, In order to use the decal and to make sure it lined up with the green diamond i cut down the decal and applied it onto the car as shown below.

IMG_0674.jpg

I then masked of the rest of the car to be painted black

IMG_0675.jpg

so I could match up the decal with the paint I applied a small clear screen (stiff plastic) over the smaller pattern on the decal, then the rest of the car was sprayed black!

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

fixing the over spray issue

IMG_0680.jpg

the new rear panel

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

the end result!!

IMG_0684.jpg

now I just need to let this body sit and for the paint to harden, there is still the two green panels to be resprayed as there is some orange/black over spray on these two parts.

decaling will start soon as well as the masking and spraying of the rear skirts.. I really want to take my time and redo things I am not happy with,