Model Cars Magazine Forum

Audi Quattro "Ashes to Ashes"

Volvoman

After a request from a fellow member( thanks Damian, damop6v8) asking if I had any more t.v or movie cars, I had to respond with this particular model of mine.

Some of you may not be familiar with the british t.v.drama called Ashes to Ashes which was a follow up to the equally popular Life on Mars but without boring you all with the history of the programme, without a doubt one of the main stars was the bright red Audi Quattro that was driven by Gene Hunt whose character was played by Philip Glenister.His favourite catchphrase was to "Fire up the Quattro", hence this is the name I have placed on the base of the model.

As the series is supposed to be set in 1980's London, I used an AMT streetscenes base and laid sandpaper on the base and painted it black and grey and weathered it to look like tarmac; the pavement was painted in Tamiya Buff XF57 and the wall was actually 1/24 scale brick paper for dolls houses. The pop posters were printed off the net and the street nameplate was scratcbuilt from plastic card and tubing.

The car itself is the old Tamiya Audi Quattro which has been painted in actual Audi bright red spray paint bought from Halfords and relevant registration number plates were made using rub down lettering. The only drawback with the model in my opinion was the fact that the model was only offered in left hand drive whereas the t.v car was in right hand drive and I did'nt fancy cutting and filling the dashboard as these are quite rare kits to get a hold off if it had all gone wrong.

I was pleased overall with the resullt that I had achieved and please feel free to add your own comments and thanks very much for looking.

2011-09-11144604.jpg

2011-09-11144400.jpg

2011-09-11144526.jpg

2011-09-111443392.jpg

Sweet as.

I thought about doing one of these. Laziness and apathy won as usual.

Be nice to be able to build some of the cars from the original Life On Mars wouldn't it?

I suppose you could build cars from the US remake (i'm still trying to erase the terrible last episode from my memory).

Thanks very much for the comments guys.

Steve, I totally agree with you on saying that Gene Hunt is the man. The closest' hard copper' we had in England in the seventies was Jack Reagan from The Sweeney and I suppose the equivalent to him in the states was of course Dirty Harry Callaghan( Clint Eastwood being one of my all time favourite actors) but by the time the Eighties came around, political correctness started coming in to force and he had to tone his act down a bit.

zenrat, you are right about the cars from Life on Mars, what I would give to get hold of a 1/24 MK3 Ford Cortina GXL. Can someone out there PLEASE make one???