Model Cars Magazine Forum

LA RATA AZTECA (Revell 40 Ford)

Dr. Cranky

We are working on the dashboard and a few other details before final assembly . . .

IMG_0021-vi.jpg

BMF took about 30 minutes to apply . . . and whenever I have to apply BMF, well, I feel a bit on edge . . .

IMG_0022-vi.jpg

A bit of a warning about this kit. The front windshield is tough to set right in. My advice is test fit in the raw styrene, and the make allowances for primer and paint. I know I am going to build a few more of these, so I hope it was an anomalie of just this first kit.

Looking great Doc.Just built one of these now getting the itch to build another one.... just a question, shouldn't the rear window trim be black like old worn black rubber, that truns your finger black when you touch it??? just asking...

Lenny, good question. You know I decided since I was going to use BMF that I would have the front and back match. But I think you are right, these go in black.

GREAT PROGRESS DR.!

Love the Weathering... :)

Thank you, Ira. More coming up.

Thanks for doing the video on the wash Doc, you make it look so easy. I don't have the same products but, thought I would give it a go with thinned Testors enamels this morning. Thought I had ruined a couple of spare engines I had on hand. After it dried it actually looks pretty good. The engine paint raised a little at first but, dried OK. Does this happen at all with the products you are useing? I just wondered if that is the big differance. That '40 is really coming together and I don't want it to end! :lol: Hope you will do another.

Jim, the same thing happened to me at first. Here are the numbers you need.

AK-075 this is the dark wash for Nato vehicles

AK-066 is the brown wash.

Considering the state of the rest of the car Virgil, maybe some matte clear to knock the shine on that chrome down?

Rob, that's coming up . . . stay tuned in . . .

Thanks for doing the video on the wash Doc, you make it look so easy. I don't have the same products but, thought I would give it a go with thinned Testors enamels this morning. Thought I had ruined a couple of spare engines I had on hand. After it dried it actually looks pretty good. The engine paint raised a little at first but, dried OK. Does this happen at all with the products you are useing? I just wondered if that is the big differance. That '40 is really coming together and I don't want it to end! :lol: Hope you will do another.

Ron, that works. Actually that's how many of us started using washes back when . . . you can also do it with fine oil paints and some odorless turpentine. The trick is to build up the layers. No stress, and if you don't like how it looks, you can remove it.

Oh, you know we'll do more of these types of vehicles. You bet. They are a heck of a lot of fun.

All right my friends. After a big push today, I got this one done. I am posting it over in UNDER GLASS.

I realized that this build thematically had nothing to do with AZTECS, so I changed the name to

T-RAT (T for Turquoise.)

I want to thank all of you for the input, support, ideas, etc . . . and although I still have to tone down the chrome and tweak it here and there, this one is done.

Cheers and THANK YOU!

header_2_off.gif

Well then get up here to the 'Burg in October for the Castle Shannon show Virgil, I'm buyin' ;)

Great work on your '40, it's almost done now! B)

Hey Donn... I believe thatthe Castle Shannon show is on September 30th... If Virgil comes up in October he'll be so disappointed that you'll have to treat him to EXTRA Primanti sandwiches... LOL

Edited by Ramfins59

I am looking for 40 Fords like this that are mild rats, not all out RATS, if you know what I mean.

IMG_5325-vi.jpg

It's not going to be this low in the back . . .

IMG_5326-vi.jpg

I'm telling you, these fat fenders in this kit really take me way back to my childhood when I started building models. This was probably one of the first kits I ever built. I would buy my kits at the local Thrifties . . . I've always loved this model.

Are you sure it was this kit? I don't think it was around way back. Perhaps you're thinking of the old AMT '40 Ford kit.

Hey Donn... I believe thatthe Castle Shannon show is on September 30th... If Virgil comes up in October he'll be so disappointed that you'll have to treat him to EXTRA Primanti sandwiches... LOL

Hey Rich, Donn didn't post that, I did. My bad, it is the last day of September! Thanks!

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=62039

Sorry for the mini-hijack Virgil, but the offer stands if you get up here to the 'Burg sometime ;)