Model Cars Magazine Forum

48 Ford - 2nd place!

Shardik

Marcus: Thanks. And look in the truck section for my next one.

Marty: I ppreciate it (comment & offer).

Jim: That's how I interpreted it . I glued the 4 wires in a tight bundle then cut them all flush and super glued the bundle to the end of the "prong". Repeat for other side. I honestly don't know if it's accurate, but it seems logical.

Jim: Yes, I used the stock suspension from the kit, which actually yields a lower ride height than what you see here. The poblem is that I had to separate the frame to fix an incredibly lame mistake :unsure: , and when I reassembled it I didn't get it back together quite right. I am definately going to have to fix this!

This is a great looking model Johann! It has a late '50's early '60's hot rod look. The color looks great, and I think that the suicide doors may find their way onto the one that I have to build. Your military modeling skills have surely helped out on this build. Great look!

Mark: Sorry I missed you back there. I really apreciate your comment, since that is exactly the look I was going for. I like the idea of representing something that the average Joe could do 1:1 with hard work, ingenuity, and a five digit bank account.

Glu': I thought a windlace was something in ship rigging :D .

Steven: The problem with #5 is that it interferes with my "artistic spontaneity" :lol: .

Roland: Since the whitewalls are pad printed, it was a simple matter of scuffing them with some fine sandpaper.

• 3 weeks later...

That model is almost contest-winning quality. If that's your first car, I'd say you are doing just fine! In fact, a lot better than just fine.

On the strength of the responses to my '48 ford on this forum, I decided to enter it in my first model contest: Wing Nut Con.

This event was sponsored by IPMS and a local club (Rob Wolfe, Denver IPMS).

When the judging was done I wandered over to the class 27 custom auto' table and was amazed to find...

IMG_1330.jpg

Thanks to everyone who commented, it was your encouragement that prompted me to enter.

Walt, Jim and Andy; Thanks. The contest was fun, and actually placing in it was an unexpected thrill. I'm fired up now; there's another contest in about a month and I've got two other builds that I'm now motivated to finish for this one.

Thanks again.