Model Cars Magazine Forum

48 Ford - 2nd place!

Shardik

Here it is; my first, actual, completed car model ! (maybe)

This was a real learning experience for me. The things I learned (in no particular order):

1) I do not like Testors spray can enamel.

2) I do like the Novus polishing products.

3) Cotton gloves make absolutely no difference if the paint isn't cured yet.

4) Do not apply pigment powders to the chassis of a completed model unless the interior is completely sealed.

5) Planning and organization could possibly be worthwhile after all.

6) I am not smarter than everybody else in the world, and could therefore, possibly learn from the experience of others with regard to such things as the design of hinges.

This is just a sampling, and I am sure your critiques will reveal more errors that I can (hopefully) avoid in the future.

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed this build. These are simply the things to be expected when stretching oneself.

48FORD_10.jpg

48FORD_13.jpg

Wow! check out that gap at the top of the door. I just noticed that.

48FORD_14.jpg

One thing I'm not disapointed with is the embossed sill plates.

48FORD_12.jpg

As I said, this is what happens when you reach beyond your capabilities. Wait'll ya see what happens next time!

All comments welcome.nd

Edited by Shardik

I think you may be a bit too hard on yourself. I think the car looks very good. As for the door gap............ just show it open and nobody will ever know. I like it !

Those were my thoughts too. It looks 1000x better then the vehicle i posted earlier. haha.

I may have misled some of you; Iv'e been building military models for a year or so, but this is my first completed civilian vehicle. Iv'e also got a 1:12 Bentley in the works, but I set it aside to build my skills before continuing.

I really apreciate the positive feedback and kind comments.

And yeah, it'll be sitting on the shelf with the doors open. ;)

B.T.W.: #8) Shiny is a lot harder than flat OD green.

Sam: Thank you!

Bill: Thanks. And, actually, they're alittle too tight. The passenger door, which is the only one that opens fully, requires distortion of the quarter panel to get it open. (See #6 above :lol: )

Gluhead: You sound like a military modeler: Every error ends up being "battle damage" or a "field modification" ;)

Lorenzo: I agree. I had to separate the frame to correct error #4.3 and couldn't quite get it back the way it was. I'll have to try again at some point.

Craig: I'm glad you do!

Andrew: Thanks!

David: Thank you. And if you do ever try military modeling, watch out for the "rivet counters" :P .