Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model King Challenger funny car

Here is the final art for the Challenger funny car box art and decals. This kit is a re-issue of the old MPC Soapy Sales funny car which probably hasn't seen the light of day since the early 70's.

If you're wondering whatever happened to the tooling for the stock 71-72 challenger take a look at the underside of the body when you get your kit. You can see how this kit evolved from there. All in all though this is a pretty nice kit and uses the same chassis found on the recently re-issued Blue Max mustang.

The kit also comes with 2 all new decal sheets which I designed as well. They feature grill and tail light graphics to make all the different model Challengers, plus a bunch of names and rare sponsor decals which I thought people could use on this kit or others.

At the bottom are pictures of the built box art models. I built the purple one and Tom Miller built the green one.

challenger_box1web.jpg

challenger_decal1web.jpg

challenger_decal1.jpg

chal_webA.jpg

chal_webC.jpg

chal_webB.jpg

chal_webD.jpg

I already saw this on the "other" board, but thanks again to all involved!

Also, Sven, I showed your artwork on the decal sheet to some Mopar friends of mine, I'm expecting more than a few are going to buy the kit just for display, they were very impressed!

This looks to be a kit to buy multiples of to put in your stash!

Holy Cow!!!

God or fate has been really kind to me. A couple of years ago, my soon to be ex-wife decided to do me a favor and clean up my garage while I was in physical rehab recovering from a badly broken hip. When I got home, I hobbled out to the garage to find 13 of my major model car projects missing, to which she vehemently denied tossing out. These were old favorite models of mine which were still good but needed some body touch up work, repaint, better workmanship and the latest detail approach. Since 10 of the 13 are no longer in production, I was crushed.

Over the last few months, I have been able to obtain the kits to re-do, improve and enhance my old projects, one of them most notably an old AMT '59 Ford in which I sectioned added rolled pans and '57 Ford guts, and called it the "Fiftyniner". When my wife threw it out, it was sitting in the box primered and ready for paint and assembly. I just got hold of a very old '59 Ford at a model car contest vendor table for 40 bucks.

That left a Challenger funny car that I originally built in college in 1972. I extended the front wheel well, molded the body to look like fiberglass, and crossed it with an MPC Charger funny car frame to match the new wheelbase. Now Dave Burkett, the real Model King, is coming out with the last model that my wife tossed out. The marriage is long dead, but long live the King!!!! Thanks buddy, I owe you one. If I win the lottery this weekend, maybe you and I can talk about buying AMT.

Ken "FloridaBoy" Willaman

I already saw this on the "other" board, but thanks again to all involved!

Also, Sven, I showed your artwork on the decal sheet to some Mopar friends of mine, I'm expecting more than a few are going to buy the kit just for display, they were very impressed!

This looks to be a kit to buy multiples of to put in your stash!

I saw this one on a non-model related board too, I nearly started drooling on the keyboard at work when I saw it! I'm hoping we can get one in stock, although it may last as long on the shelf as the L700 (never made it past the cash register to the shelf) and '49 Merc Kustoms (spent maybe 20 min on the shelf) did :)

Edited by Joe Handley

• 14 years later...