Model Cars Magazine Forum

1925 Model T Front Suspension Options

Can't remember right off hand what magazine that minty green roadster was in, (may have been Hot Rod?) it's been a while ago. If memory serves me correctly it is the front half of an early 20's Dodge touring car body set on a stock frame that had been flipped upside down the parallel leaf springs are in the stock configuration with front and rear axels bolted on top of the spring Vs. below the spring stock. With such a low center of gravity the roadster was said to handle quite well.

Can't remember right off hand what magazine that minty green roadster was in, (may have been Hot Rod?) it's been a while ago. If memory serves me correctly it is the front half of an early 20's Dodge touring car body set on a stock frame that had been flipped upside down the parallel leaf springs are in the stock configuration with front and rear axels bolted on top of the spring Vs. below the spring stock. With such a low center of gravity the roadster was said to handle quite well.

Okay, when the frame is placed under the axles it's referred to as "underslung" and it was a fairly common configuration on cars way back when. Typically, the frames would be arched differently from what is shown in the pic, to aviod the extremely low ground clearance which can make your trip end pretty abruptly. Roads have bumps, and they had more bumps way back when. No reason it shouldn't handle "quite well" under a light car (which it obviously is) with skinny tires (which they obviously are) on a very smooth road. The term "quite well" is rather subjective though, as my definition of "quite well" encompasses Porsches and Jaguars, and I don't think this pretty little roadster would measure up.

Here is one link discussing the relative merits of various front suspension setups, including that particular car. Bear in mind that not everything on the internet is true, and that not having any actual knowledge of the topic rarely stops anyone from posting 'expert' opinions.

http://www.hotrodder...ion-108556.html

I also recommend a google image-search for "underslung suspension" for more ideas. The little green car comes up quite often.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy