Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Do You Think it Would Cost For America Made Models?

If the primary mission of management was to produce models HERE at the same cost as in China, or slightly higher, it could be done. It would take trimming fat and working a little harder, and smarter. I'd gladly pay as much as $5 more per 1/25 kit if it had 100% US content.

If the primary mission of management was to produce models HERE at the same cost as in China, or slightly higher, it could be done. It would take trimming fat and working a little harder, and smarter. I'd gladly pay as much as $5 more per 1/25 kit if it had 100% US content.

How much fat do you think would need to be cut? And how hard would the fat that's left have to work? There is no way that an American company could ever touch the pay scale of an over seas market. So to keep that part equal, the work load for one American worker would go up by like what, 500% ? No one I know would take that much more work, for no more money, now your pay scale is off the charts again.

Which = higher price tag

More than it costs the Japanese & less of a product... Quality/options/accuracy...

Dan

This may be a bit hard to belive but the Majors(Tamiya, Hasagawa etc.) Don't produce much of their stuff in Japan. They do the design work and cut the molds, but for the most part production occures elsewhere. Tamiya has plants in Brazil and either Singapore or the Phillipines. Having said that, it is likely that the US could do the same thing at a similar price. Labor prices in Japan are not cheap. This is why the small guys like MFH cost $125. Well, part of the reason.