Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram '53 Corvette vs AMT '53 Corvette?

Aaronw

I've built the Monogram kit, nice easy build.

Even though I have a couple of the AMT kits, I've never had the desire to build one. Most of the finished ones I've seen never looked right to me and I just didn't lust after the 1:1 enough to bother correcting all of the issues with it.

Ride height was one problem, as well as the wheels sticking out and the headlight buckets look too small. The clear plastic headlight covers didn't help either. 

I forgot about the side trim running uphill. I think I read that was a goof since day one.

Edited by Oldcarfan27

21 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I've built the Monogram kit, nice easy build.

Even though I have a couple of the AMT kits, I've never had the desire to build one. Most of the finished ones I've seen never looked right to me and I just didn't lust after the 1:1 enough to bother correcting all of the issues with it.

Ride height was one problem, as well as the wheels sticking out and the headlight buckets look too small. The clear plastic headlight covers didn't help either. 

I forgot about the side trim running uphill. I think I read that was a goof since day one.

Actually, the side trim on the AMT 53 Corvette does not run uphill. I think (IIRC) that was Bill Coulter who made that (incorrect) observation.  Actually, I believe he thought the bottom of the body incorrectly ran down hill, and he pie cut the body on his build to correct it. However, if you look at a plan view of a real 53-55, the 1:1 body does run down hill to the front. So in that respect, both the body and the side trim on the AMT body are correct. That said, the Danbury Mint 53 is nicer than both the AMT and the Monogram.