Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya shows new life. Mercedes McLaren SLR coming!

I know Bob - just messin with ya :lol:

What frustrates me about the "$11 Cobra Daytona coupe by Revell" is that alot of the pieces are sorta there already. They have a "leaf spring" chassis in the 1:43 "Ultimates" Cobra, they had to make pattern models for the 1:32 Daytona slotcar body, they have a good example of how to tool a Cobra in their 427 roadster kits (and a good example of how not to tool one in the AMT 289 kit), and they have a history of producing Shelby/Ford licenced kits. Such a kit won't set the world on fire in the initial release, but like the 427 kits, it could be re-issued every few years with different decals, it could spawn a 289 roadster kit, and could be paired with other Shelby kits as a combo pack release. Oh well, I'll keep waiting for the Acc Mins roadster, and hope that it spawns a Daytona Coupe...

Preachin' to the choir! At once it's frustrating that they don't seem to listen, and it also must be just as frustrating on the inside w/the way sales have been; so they take the high road and avoid all semblance of risk. One can only hope that we'll eventually end up w/a nice kit of the Cobra Daytona w/o spending lotto winnings to get it.

i might have to pony up for one of those then; my problem if you could call it that is that i have the gunze one (never started im afraid) and the i think it was revell or whoever made that curbside one thats been repackaged a number of times?

also exoto has a full line of them in 1/18 but of course they are die casts (but what diecasts!) and i have a couple of those.

then revell/monogram released nice 1/32 scale slot cars and i have a rack of them.

so im a bit non-plussed about adding more. however if accurate miniatures did a nice one with good engine detail for a reasonable price i would be all over it even though i might not build it right away.

• 8 years later...

Has anyone built one of these? I have gotten to the point of attaching the doors but they do not with the door panels on them. To tight. My hood is warped some too.

See thread in Workbench

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=103330

Hood fit is very tricky even w/o any warp. You have to mess w/the intake, there's a pin/receiver that needs to be shortened so the hood can snuggle down over the headlights and the fenders. Door fit (closed) is helped if you remove some material from the inner door surround; as you've found the door panels don't like to fit in there, way too tight a fit. I built the models for review for Scale Auto back in the day (the regular SLR and later the 722). Can't remember what issues. Take your time, test fit often, you'll figure it out.

IMG_9948-vi.jpg

1-vi.jpg