Model Cars Magazine Forum

Slot cars

I'm in! I've got a few shelves of models that will not get built if I have to go through the process of researching and super-detailing them. Hmmm...I see an AMT '64 Mercury Marauder, Mono Green Hornet, Revell Pontiac Club de Mer and Lincoln Futura, MPC '29 Woodie as well as a couple of 1/32 scale '56 Revell re-issues in my closet that would make decent slot cars.

cheers,

Bob S. 8)

Guest Rowdy Yates

I love the old slot cars.I remeber when slot tracks were all over the place.We had one just a few blocks from the house in my home town.Back in the day, if you lived in Charlotte, NC, it was common to see some of the Nascar drivers at the local slot tracks on week nights right along everyone else racing..

Speaking of slot cars.I have noticed on the back of MCM, there is a shot of several old models and an old issue of an AMT model magazine.On that old AMT magazine is a scene of a father and son racing.I can't see the car they are racing but would it be the full size 1/24 scale cars and does the control the young lad has in his hand be the mini steering wheel control?I believe I remember as a kid seeing a commercial on Sat. mornings for that very race track.It was two kids racing what appeared to 63-64 Ford Galaxie slot cars?Does anyone know if AMT advertised on T.V. back then?

Yates

Slot cars are GO!

I can't answer your questions, Rowdy. Sorry about that Chief!

I've got a Heller Ferrari 512S, an AMT '66 Mustang and Monogram Owens Corning Corvette and 1950 Ford Pickup waiting in the 'build me' queue.

Congratulations on the new forum.

Regards,

Lowrider.

Hi Jairus! And everyone else!

This forum is great!

To those of you who dont already race slot cars, you should try it! Hardbody slotcars are my new favorite, having gotten away from commercial slot racing for the most part.

Building them is a little different than a static model. I try to balance realism with durability. For example, mirrors and bumpers take a lot of abuse on a slot car, so mounting them can be challenging. I sometimes use small pieces if velcro to hold bumpers on, so they can be easily re-attached. I have used silicone for the same reason, if you permanantly glue them they sometimes break in half instead of coming off.

Painting is a little different if you really expect to race the car. It will get abuse, so coating for protection instead of just for show is another difference.

I have some cars that are so nice I hardly run them, you dont want to do Every car that way. Half the fun is racing them. I have some "runners" that have been through the wringer, scraped up, no mirrors or small parts left. I like that.

Jairus does beautiful work, having him here is awesome. Thanks for showing this site to us Jaurus.

Roy

Having built 90 1/24th hard body shot cars, I have found that Devcon’s Plastic Welder is the strongest adhesive to construct and reinforce my plastic bodies. Plastic Welder is used by 1:1 body shops to adhere composite, plastic, etc., parts to steel and metal. Incredibly strong stuff!

I have been racing for 12 years now, every week without interruption, and my bodies, mounted on custom scratch built chassis with 4X40 screws and nuts, have over time proved astonishingly durable.

For more information, and pictures: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28

• 2 weeks later...
I think we need a forum for Slot cars! Hard body cars of course. Something to bring them into the fold. What do you all think?

Hi Jairus

I think it would be a great idea to have a slot car forum. I don't know a whole lot about them but I have custom painted quite a few hardbody drag cars for others and I've often thought about getting into the hobby.

Brian

Here's a shot of a Willys, Camaro and a Firebird funny car that I painted and were done for others to be used as drag slot cars

WWIIwillys000.jpg

flamed69camaro24.jpg

LuckyStrikecensored027.jpg