Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 Ford Twin Hemi Skull Rod "Mr Sinister" Finished!

TFchronos

Jonathan why are you using two accessory drive systems (i.e. alternator) ?

I've left them both alone because I haven't decided which engine I want the alternator on yet. This is also being built for a cross country race and I'm still toying with the idea of leaving one of the engines disabled for the race to conserve fuel. I don't plan on running two alternators I'm just leaving them alone for now to keep some options open. :)

Whoa! I thought I read twin Hemi :o

And that fuel-tank is madness! :D

Thanks Matija! :)

Here's another update, been working on a couple of other models so this one is still not getting the time it needs. An issue I will soon remedy. Anyway I cut out the wheel wells and added mounts for it to sit on the frame. It took a little thinking (yes it hurt) but it sits on it pretty nicely still needs a little work it's a little high on the back right tire.

The only notable thing about this is it's all hand sanded, no demel was used.

Post7Pic2_zps5d4cd56a.jpg

Post7Pic1_zpsb1ce15d7.jpg

Post7Pic3_zpsbb0af655.jpg

Post7Pic4_zpsbcd5340a.jpg

Post7Pic5_zps2a2a76c9.jpg

And there it is sitting on the frame waiting for the mounts to set up.

Next update will be a test mock up of what it should look like when it's done.

Just have to ask, since I would be tempted to do so myself, but with the clear tank, any temptation to use gas colored water to fill the tank, or will you be painting it?

The thought crossed my mind but the tank isn't sealed so I was just going the cover it with aluminum tape. But now that you got me thinking about it again I may have come up with a way to build a sealed tank. I think I'll try it and see if it works, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Update time, after Jantrix very kindly pointed out that the stock front end would likely not hold the weight of the engines. Since then I've been working on building a heavier duty front end and this is what I got. All scratch built it made for a nice challenge and the joy of it is now the wheels turn. :) 3/4 ton springs with gas shocks upper a-arm setup and will be getting a stabilizer bar at the bottom. Forgot to get it in the picture.

Post11Pic1_zps376519d5.jpg

Post11Pic2_zps91884fe7.jpg

Post11Pic3_zps5f3359ad.jpg

Post11Pic4_zps825b03fb.jpg

Next thing I will work on is the rear rims, I had an idea and want to try it out.

Thanks for looking! :)

Nice idea, love the steerable wheels. are you going for a rat rod look? because this would look sweet all rusted up.

I haven't really decided what I'll do with it in terms of color yet. I've never done a rat rod and a part of me wants to try, but a part of me also wants to do it up like a hot rod.

Thanks

Hey Jonathan, very nice work on the frame and suspension, but I'm not real sure the fuel tank is going to be large enough for two HEMI'S you may have to build a tank on wheels to pull behind? seriously it's looking mighty fine can't wait to see more. :D:D

Hey Jonathan, very nice work on the frame and suspension, but I'm not real sure the fuel tank is going to be large enough for two HEMI'S you may have to build a tank on wheels to pull behind? seriously it's looking mighty fine can't wait to see more. :D:D

Thanks, I though really hard about that in the beginning and might do one latter on.

Update time, it's not much but any progress is good progress right? So this one's about the back rims, I really liked the street rims the hot rod came with but because they're not deep dish they wouldn't look right on the pro street tires. The only suitable rims I have are from revell's pro street Chevelle, they are flat, bland, and have Chevy bow tie lug nuts. They just wouldn't look right on the hot rod so after some thinking I got the idea to combine the two rims together and turn the street rims into deep dish rims. So after a lot for gentle sanding the shave the pro street rims down with out causing the chrome the flake off and a little sanding to the street rims I glued them together to make custom deep dish rims so it's got matching rims all the around.

Here's the pics.

Before

Post12Pic1_zps0eb6509b.jpg

After

Post12Pic2_zpsddb251c4.jpg

And finally on the tire.

Post12Pic3_zpsbe846233.jpg

Thanks for looking, as always more to come.

I've used that trick on wheels before as well, it really looks sweet with the torque thrusts on it!

It's a slick trick, it was also my first time trying it. I was so worried about damaging the chrome, I'm glad it turned out well in the end.

Good job on those wheels. They look great.

Thanks Patrick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well it's been a while since I've updated this, I've been pushing my GTX along for the past month so now it's time to start pushing the hot rod again. The engines were base coated with Tamiya silver chrome and then several coats of clear red to give it a nice candy red look. I also tried my hand at lowering the top, after the spectacular failure that the GTX was I was a little hesitant but wanted to try again anyway. Thankfully the end result this time was what I wanted. I wanted to take it down a little but didn't want it lowered so much that I would need a periscope so I could see out of it. I think in scale it should be about a 3 inch drop in the front and a 1 1/2 inch drop at the middle posts give or take.

Post13Pic2_zps4f145bdd.jpg

Post13Pic3_zpsecac2870.jpg

The engine painted red with those gigantic valve covers painted satin black.

Post13Pic5_zps022e71e3.jpg

Post13Pic4_zps1197b487.jpg

I also remade the steering setup, it takes up less space and should be more effective now. I forgot to cut off the extra on the linking pipe at the time of the photo, that's since been fixed.

Post13Pic1_zpsf09c9733.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by TFchronos