Model Cars Magazine Forum

Yeah - Doc is building again :D

Thanks Virgil. Very very nice wheels - and your weathering is cool as always. Have you anything planed with the chromeparts?

Dominik, I have pitted them with a little primer and some dullcote. Next up are a round or two of washes, etc . . . they will fit right in. Not the wheels, though. The wheels stay new. A change of shoes into a new par. LOL.

I thought this was going to be a really nice build after seeing the wheels in the first set of pics. It's a rusty, crusty build, doc. I was hoping you'd stay on the SHINY :) :) :) side after you're last couple of builds.

Sorry to disappoint, Jim, but it's RUSTY time again in the Lab-RAT-ory.

:D:rolleyes:B)

I love the patina Doc, glad to see you back in your element. I love the "hours of pure pleasure" you describe. The first pictures of your paint looked perfect to me, then it just keeps getting better and better. Thanks for entertaining us. I was just wondering how many '50 Chevy pickups you have built? I never get tired of seeing them.

Great question and between the 50 Chevy (3100, Street Machine, and now the TEXACO) I would say a dozen or so. A few of them never made it to the shelves. 2 I gave away to friends who then gave them to their kids to play with so needless to say they are probably no longer around.

LOL, the trucks NOT the kids. Hahahahaha!

Dominik, I have pitted them with a little primer and some dullcote. Next up are a round or two of washes, etc . . . they will fit right in. Not the wheels, though. The wheels stay new. A change of shoes into a new par. LOL.

like a pair of brand new virgin white sneakers on a bum / vagrant

:lol::lol::lol: :lol:

Here's a bit more progress for today, been working on some of the upper chassis elements like the firewall and engine compartment walls.

IMG_0193-vi.jpg

Again, the idea is to create depth and variety of color and effect.

IMG_0194-vi.jpg

I really love how the frame turned out, it really does look like it's made out of rusty metal and it's showing all the years of nature's wrath on the paint.

IMG_0196-vi.jpg

A note about the TEXACO kit. I have noticed that the tooling on this kit is beginning to show wear. Lot of parts have flash, and mold lines. The frame has all these sink marks, which is fine if you are going rusty, but I painted a shiny one recently and it was tough to work out all the kinks. Don't get me wrong, I still hold this kit in the highest regard and it's still at the top of my Top 10.

IMG_0021-vi.jpg

IMG_0020-vi.jpg

Here's a bit more progress for today, been working on some of the upper chassis elements like the firewall and engine compartment walls.

IMG_0193-vi.jpg

Again, the idea is to create depth and variety of color and effect.

IMG_0194-vi.jpg

I really love how the frame turned out, it really does look like it's made out of rusty metal and it's showing all the years of nature's wrath on the paint.

IMG_0196-vi.jpg

All this chassis work salt as well? How did you get the edges to be so much thinner with paint.

Mark, thanks for the wonderful question. (We get excited every time we talk about the salt technique!).

This is all the use of acrylics and salt. When you wet salt, some of it leeches out on to the surface and creates a barrier which is easy to scratch and or brush off. What I do is that I've been doing several laters of paint/salt, paint/salt, paint/salt, until I get the results I am after.

You can also use hairspray as a barrier and when you moisten it under the paint it will literary break off in bits and pieces.

You can only control the process so far, but that's what I love about it. It's random and the results are always different, but they do look extremely realistic.

If you haven't given the salt technique a try, you are missing out on a fun technique.

Best, DC