Model Cars Magazine Forum

Found A New Site Worth Checking Out

I was just surfing the net yesterday, and I stumbled across a site I haven't seen before. It appears to be being changed around a bit at the moment, but is definitely worth a look as it features some very significant and well known historical models. Including reprints of some original model magazine articles from the sixties! It is called model car science and its address is http://www.geocities.com/dreamrod2/science.html. Just thought I'd pass this info on. :rolleyes:

I have been around this hobby for a very very long time, and visiting Bob's website really brought back some old memories and some inspiration. I can remember the days in the sixties when Bob's cars were featured, and I personally looked forward to the next issue of each, in the hopes he had something featured. Back in those days, there are as like today, a lot of gifted and talented modelers, but Bob to me had that "something special" in the imagination poured into his models.

Thanks for the inspiration, as it put me back on the workbench, right now, as I was taking a little break, but got all inspired just looking at the creations.

Way to go, Bob.

Ken "FloridaBoy" Willaman

I wasn't around in the Golden age of modeling, as I'm only 34. But i have a great interest in the history of our hobby and also the history of the full size custom cars of that era, and the likes of Ed Roth, Darryl Starbird, Larry Watson, etc etc. :rolleyes: I am always looking out for old model magazines and old, car craft magazines, popular customs etc etc when funds allow. I have bean very lucky and managed to find issue number one of car Model Magazine. From 1962 and also the Revel Pactra model Champions Volume no one from 1964. :rolleyes:

Edited by parki

Thanks for the link to that site. I've seen some incredible things since I found this forum, but this guy is soooo awesome. Can you imagine building models of that calibre using wire, wood filler & plastic wood? I'm still trying to wrap my head around it !! ;):D

Yeah those models are incredible Tony.!! :D I have great respect for those guys, and I'm so glad that people are trying to preserve the great history of our hobby.

I would love to go to the model Car Museum one day, and see some of the great models on display there also. But have to make do with the virtual tour. as I live in England and don't have the funds to get over there at the moment. An yeah I sure wish I was as skilled as some of those guys.

parki,

I am 60 and was extremely active in model car building in what you guys term "the golden age" of modeling in the sixties. I was there still have a lot of those magazines, and several people in my club, mostly the younger guys, ask "what it was like".

For pure model building and availability of kits, NOW is the Golden Age. Granted when new Trophy Series Kits, Drag Racers, Funnys, Special Editions, and such, it was quite the stir. And there were what seems a lot more clubs, hobby shops, and contests. But because of the times, we did not have that much aftermarket, selection of paints, glues, tools, and it took a lot more work to make a model back then and keep it together, then you take it to a hobby shop, the afternoon sun hits your car, and the putty and glue ridges and marks wash right through the paint.

I still will not put any model in the sun or even near sunlight after some nightmarish experiences. But I am pursuing the hobby with the same level of enthusiasm, zeal, and gung-ho attitude at 60 than at any time of my life, only now, I have the choice of models available now that I only dreamed about back then. So, yes, us guys laid the groundwork, and then we died in the late sixties and early seventies, only to be re-born in the mid eighties. Only now the level of building is much better, cars are better detailed, and model car contests are more of an event now which they should be. I remember winning 7 contests in '64, but in '90, only entered two, and placed in both, but learned more then because we modelers in the old days didn't get to hang at a contest. The cars were just on display for weeks at the hobby shop, and there were only a few at a time inside when it was time to reclaim your cars.

Appreciate the old days, like you appreciate oldie goldies in music. But please listen to a guy who has been at both places and times, this is the Golden Age.

parki,

I am 60 and was extremely active in model car building in what you guys term "the golden age" of modeling in the sixties. I was there still have a lot of those magazines, and several people in my club, mostly the younger guys, ask "what it was like".

For pure model building and availability of kits, NOW is the Golden Age. Granted when new Trophy Series Kits, Drag Racers, Funnys, Special Editions, and such, it was quite the stir. And there were what seems a lot more clubs, hobby shops, and contests. But because of the times, we did not have that much aftermarket, selection of paints, glues, tools, and it took a lot more work to make a model back then and keep it together, then you take it to a hobby shop, the afternoon sun hits your car, and the putty and glue ridges and marks wash right through the paint.

I still will not put any model in the sun or even near sunlight after some nightmarish experiences. But I am pursuing the hobby with the same level of enthusiasm, zeal, and gung-ho attitude at 60 than at any time of my life, only now, I have the choice of models available now that I only dreamed about back then. So, yes, us guys laid the groundwork, and then we died in the late sixties and early seventies, only to be re-born in the mid eighties. Only now the level of building is much better, cars are better detailed, and model car contests are more of an event now which they should be. I remember winning 7 contests in '64, but in '90, only entered two, and placed in both, but learned more then because we modelers in the old days didn't get to hang at a contest. The cars were just on display for weeks at the hobby shop, and there were only a few at a time inside when it was time to reclaim your cars.

Appreciate the old days, like you appreciate oldie goldies in music. But please listen to a guy who has been at both places and times, this is the Golden Age.

parki,

I hear you Ken. :) Thanks for your reply and your advice. :)