Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes 508 D Wrecker

Chromecop

• 2 weeks later...
Well, even thou there seems to be 0 interest in this build,

Oh we're interested, it's such an unusual subject on our side of the pond that we are few. ;) I like just about anything European, truck or not. I'll definitely be watching your progress.

Man, I can just see any number of fixed-up euro cars to put on that rollback! :lol:

Keep us in the loop, it's too good to not to!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, actually this one's supposed to be a "phantom" tow truck. It's a rare sight in europe as well, seeing a crew-cab tow-truck.

But, taking a frame from a MB 613 van and put on a crew cab wouldn't be that hard to do in real life! This one will be a race-car hauler when finished but It'll have the look of a former tow-truck. <_<

• 2 weeks later...
hey great project, where did you get the base?

crew cab tow trucks are quite often seen over here, mostly using "opel movano" cabins

Well, if you by base mean the cab, it was pirated from a friction driven toy. If you mean the frame, it's being scratchbuilt in evergreen styrene using the blueprints for a real 1:1 scale Mercedes Van.

first, nice build, excellent subject. would look awesome with a pro stock ferrari 612 on back. keep it up.

i just got back in country, 2 months ago, from germany. first, there were all kinds of roll back haulers over there. boom tow trucks are not allowed. several of the extended cab versions, just depended on what you ordered. my squadron had two, an old mercedes and a newer iveco (fiat). both had extended cabs. currently, the tow truck of choice is the iveco,they are everywhere.

by the way, drag racing is very popular in germany and europe, in general. several sanctioning bodies. the old bitburg air base now hosts a complete season of drag racing on the old taxiway. pretty cool. check out this site; http://1on1-motorsports.de.

is that fiat cool or what?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well, actually this one's supposed to be a "phantom" tow truck. It's a rare sight in europe as well, seeing a crew-cab tow-truck.

Erm, crew cab recovery trucks are the most common thing here in the UK. You hardly see one without. How do you guys get the occupants of a broken down car off the Motorways?

Erm, crew cab recovery trucks are the most common thing here in the UK. You hardly see one without. How do you guys get the occupants of a broken down car off the Motorways?

Well over here (Sweden) the people usually have to get a taxi or something..... :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...