Model Cars Magazine Forum

Plymouth Superbird

seanyb505

Started this build a few weeks ago. So far I've only done basic body work and rear suspension. Plan is to use the inspiration as inspiration and not to make an exact replica. I'll be keeping the 440 stock, but using the rear suspension from an AMT Thunderbird stock car as well as wheels and tires, fire wall and a few more miscellaneous pieces.

Inspiration:

mopp_0908_01_z70_plymouth_roadrunner_sup

Mock up:

IMG_20130601_124633_zps9fc2e7e2.jpg

IMG_20130601_124555_zps3f84bea4.jpg

Scratch built rear coilovers:

IMG_20130601_134055_zps8bbf3ffe.jpg

Deviating from Chrysler red:

IMG_20130601_134252_zps110cb951.jpg

Removed inner fenders and stock suspension points:

IMG_20130608_175640_zps5d62cb5e.jpg

Turn signals and door handles are shaved, and while the 1:1 does not have this the side vents are opened. I'm trying to build a lower valence without compromising the look of the nose cone, which will be my first major scratchbuilding effort. So far it is okay, but I'll have to get it glued in place before I can determine it a success.

The only thing I'm not sure about it the interior. At first I was just going to glue sheet plastic over the seats to simulate an aluminum panels interior but I don't know if I should open up the interior bucket to reveal the rear wheel wells, as you would find on a car with all interior panels removed.

My last thought for now is in the name of sacrilege and pro touring to convert the head lights into fixed, recessed buckets instead of leaving the headlight covers as is and just throwing a black decal over them. Should be straight forward and not that difficult, I just don't know how it would affect the overall feel of the car.

Thoughts?

Not really sure how to go about the front suspension. I'm trying to use the thunderbird control arms but they cramp the engine block they are so long. I wanted to scratchbuild as little of it as possible but it looks like I need to figure out a lot of it. It was easy to accommodate the wider tires in the rear but there's just more going on up front.

I did trim the k member down to not look like a huge chunk of plastic. Perhaps some viper parts may work...

• 4 weeks later...

The front suspension and the interior have stumped me to the point where I have gone through my stash to find a more straightforward build. I found the exact same kit and thought, "I'll do an easy 'bird."

While removing the chrome plating from the valve covers I let one go down the sink. :angry: Not to be stopped, I went through my stash looking to see what other kit had a 440 valve cover. I couldn't find one but I did decide on donating the Hemi from an MPC Daytona I wasn't planning on building oob to the tribute build, so I could use the stock 440 valve cover on the stock 'bird. I was again concerned on using a 1:25 engine in a 1:24 body, but the Hemi is of decent size and fill the engine bay quite nicely. Lots of swapping going on here...

So far it looks pretty good. I hope to see it at some of the local shows soon. You might consider getting an inexpensive food strainer thing at the dollar store (they look like they're made from screen door material) to use when you're working with parts at the sink- it could prevent lost parts in the future. I use one and have yet to lose a part.

While removing the chrome plating from the valve covers I let one go down the sink. :angry: Not to be stopped, I went through my stash looking to see what other kit had a 440 valve cover. I couldn't find one but I did decide on donating the Hemi from an MPC Daytona I wasn't planning on building

dude!! you need to use the "wanted" section..... pm sent to ya....

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip on the strainer. I've made small progress. Got the wing glued as a unit and coming along with the interior bucket. I threw the rims into some purple power supplies since the paint Usually not cover them well.

IMG_20130727_170931_zpsd6337bd7.jpg

IMG_20130727_170907_zpsd7ba9faa.jpg