Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors wet look clear

The best way to find out would be to do a spray out test on a plastic spoon I would imagine. Or if you are concerned with reaction to the plastic of a certain kit, a spray out on a piece of scrap sprue from the kit. Supposedly the Testors are laquers, but not in the truest sense as they are not as "hot" solvent wise based on being formulated for polystyrene plastic.

Actually, krylon uses a much "Hotter " solvent than that found in Testors paints . If you ever visit Donn Yost's painting techniques, he himself uses a "FAST " evaporation lacquer thinner to thin Enamels . I can vouch for Mr. Yost's unusual methods .

Krylon makes several different lines of paint, and they're not all the same. Their "Fusion" line is MUCH hotter than their "Indoor-Outdoor" line, for example. YOU REALLY need to TEST the SPECIFIC materials you're using. There are so many possible combinations that no one here can give you a 'for-sure' answer, most likely. TEST TEST TEST, and write down your results.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

And just 'cause it doesn't react immediately doesn't mean you won't get trouble later on.

It's a real drag when your nice shiny polished lacquer clear cracks weeks later because you put it over enamel.

Don't ask me how I know...

• 2 weeks later...