Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Low-tus" Europa Special... final assembly!

jaymcminn

Work progresses on the little Lotus- I tend to build in fits and starts around my work/gym/fishing/beer drinking schedule, which is why I tend not to update at regular intervals. Also, the cat ate my homework.

I went with Testors One-Coat Fiery Orange for the paint on the Europa... usually I tend to stay away from the One-Coat line due to the out-of-scale metalflake effect, but on a 70s car like the Europa the metalflake effect works. The Fiery Orange isn't a bright orange- it's more of a 70s burnt orange, which also suits the subject matter. Here's the paint pre clear-coat...

P1030162_zps615c1b52.jpg

Then after polishing and mocked up on the frame...

P1030165_zpsd48a0cd1.jpg

And as it stands now, with the wing in place on the rear deck. The wing is a modified Aoshima tuner series unit... I scratchbuilt the side plates and modified the struts to work better on the Lotus. The wing itself is covered in Scale Motorsports High-Def Carbon Fiber decals, as are the sill covers (pics later) front spoiler, and licence plate area on the rear of the car. I know that the CF goes against the whole retro vibe of the car but, hey, I like how it looks.

P1030167_zps5ca11af7.jpg

P1030168_zps4a5c4427.jpg

The bumpers will be stripped of chrome and blacked out, as will the door handles. I'm going to leave some chrome on the car, however... the headlight surrounds, fuel filler caps, and rear view mirrors will remain chrome, as will the metal-transfer badges. Interior will be tan seats and door cards with chocolate-brown carpet. The engine is just about finished... more pics coming soon!

I love the color on your build. I think many of us were first exposed to the Europa as a Matchbox car. I know it was one of my favorites back in my childhood. I still have one.

I used to work with a guy who was into sports cars. He said he used to have a Europa and it wasn't a great experience. First it had the British curse of Lucas Electric. He said it didn't work more than it did. He also said the driving experience wasn't pleasant as you are crammed into the thing and can't see worth a darn out of it. Since it didn't have air, it was hot and stuffy inside too. I forget what he had when I knew him, but I remember it was still British but a convertible this time!

...I used to work with a guy who was into sports cars. He said he used to have a Europa and it wasn't a great experience. First it had the British curse of Lucas Electric. He said it didn't work more than it did. He also said the driving experience wasn't pleasant as you are crammed into the thing and can't see worth a darn out of it. Since it didn't have air, it was hot and stuffy inside too....

All pretty much true, but comfortable if you're not over 5'10", slender, and live in a cooler climate. Easy to get in and out of if you're young and agile, and they handle like slot-cars and go pretty good with the Twincam and not much weight. The door hinges were a less-than-stellar design that self-destructed over the years, making it hard the shut them for the droop.

Still, tons of fun if you have the right mindset for vehicular abuse.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I was close to buying one and having it shipped home when I was in the Army in Germany, but a Medical Discharge changed plans. I DO still love the look of the Europa and your build, Jason, is looking fine!

So after rigging up a custom dual exhaust for the Europa, I decided to do a minor mod to the engine. The kit's stock carbs are okay, but a bit tame looking... at first, I thought I'd cut off the stock airbox and add some trumpets in their place. While rummaging through the parts box, however, I came across a set of side-draft Webers from the AM Corvette Grand Sport kit. I tried them out on the engine, and they looked pretty mean! There are a lot of pics online of twin-cam Lotus motors running Weber side-drafts online and these actually look pretty close to scale. I cut off the intake trumpets and gave them the Alclad treatment and repainted the carbs in bright aluminum. I also drilled out the alternator pulley (a very visible part on the finished engine) to represent an aftermarket billet unit. The block is painted Tamiya Brilliant blue, and the exhaust manifold/pipe were painted in Alclad and heat-discolored with Tamiya acrylics. On to the pics!

P1030169_zpsa42f5949.jpg

P1030171_zps03a2cae6.jpg

P1030170_zps60a50288.jpg

P1030172_zps3acededb.jpg

Next, I'm finishing up the interior and chassis. More pics soon!

This is turning out great,I did some work at a house during the week and the owner had one of these in the shed,he had just shipped it over from new zealand to aussie,spent 14months on a full restoration and had it detailed spotlessly so it wouldn't have problems clearing customs,he picked it up and there was mud all up the side of the car and in the wheel wells and 130 odd klms on the odometer,some cheeky BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH had taken it for a spin after offloading it from the ship.

Very cool build. I have to echo Bill's sentiments on needing to know what you're getting into. It's one of those cars that if it were a woman, it'd be the type that dragged you around on a chain and collar...but those legs...those lips...worth it! :D

Thanks for the responses and encouragement, everybody. It's surprising how many people have personal experience with the Europa, given the relative rarity of these cars. I've never actually seen one, but I can't imagine they're too common in Florida... given the heat and humidity down here, a car with the Europa's E-Z Bake Oven tendencies couldn't have been too popular.

Progress continues on the Europa- the door cards and seats were painted in Tamiya Deck Tan, then masked off and the rest of the interior painted in dark brown and flocked with dark brown flocking. The dash and center console will be black. I also used Wilton cake foil for heat shielding on the back side of the firewall... you can get the stuff at Michaels, and a roll will provide you with a lifetime supply of in-scale heat shielding. Saves a lot of trouble bumming cigarette foil from your smoker friends. I also mocked up the chassis... the heat-stained exhaust came out pretty well!

P1030173_zps55a488b8.jpg

P1030175_zps3f41246c.jpg

P1030179_zps5edc4196.jpg

Next, it all starts coming together. More updates soon...and as always, questions and comments welcome!