Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nevada Highway Patrol Mustang

Agent G

Jonathan that's straight out of a Testors little square bottle, bought at Hobby Lobby. The top is MM German Silver from the bigger bottle.

I used MM thinner and my new Paasche Talon with the medium needle.

Thank you John!

Thank you G, I am going to have to pick a bottle I think, looks really nice , again good job

During joint ops with ICE and Border Patrol, I've seen Az DPS on the 95 in Henderson. That's a double take for sure.

G

Next time you come down, you should bring this one, and we can do photo together with them ;)

The radar unit from the CVPI kit looks good in the Mustang interior

Edited by martinfan5

Jonathan if you want I believe I'll be down August 3. I'll bring it then.

Testors has been putting some of the strangest colors in the small square bottles lately. Thats a good thing! This car took just at 3/4 of the bottle the way I thinned it.

Fred thank you very much. I see the new NHP cars and SUV's every day and they really don't look as good anymore. This color scheme was a classic and, as previously mentioned, are the state colors.

Jonathan if you want I believe I'll be down August 3. I'll bring it then.

Testors has been putting some of the strangest colors in the small square bottles lately. Thats a good thing! This car took just at 3/4 of the bottle the way I thinned it.

Fred thank you very much. I see the new NHP cars and SUV's every day and they really don't look as good anymore. This color scheme was a classic and, as previously mentioned, are the state colors.

Coming down for the swap meet?, I was thinking of doing the "welcome to Vegas " sign to use a back drop, guess I better get on that ASAP

Guest Johnny

More likely rushing to save someone's life.

Coffee breaks don't warrant high speed driving.

Surely you jest. :lol:

Tuesday morning, no traffic, clear weather and no emergency lights going. Wouldn't be the first time. Happens here a couple times a week here in town except with lights and sirens at times and they all end up in the KFC parking lot! :lol:

Edited by Johnny

Surely you jest. :lol:

Tuesday morning, no traffic, clear weather and no emergency lights going. Wouldn't be the first time. Happens here a couple times a week here in town except with lights and sirens at times and they all end up in the KFC parking lot! :lol:

I call BS. No, I don't jest. But you don't know what you're talking about.

Any officer using emergency equipment and exceeding the speed limit just to go to coffee, doughnuts or lunch would not be an officer long. That's an unauthorized use of authority, abuse of power, and an ethical and professional violation sufficient to bring about penalties up to and including termination and revocation of peace officer certification. It is a very sensitive issue that is treated very seriously and policed very closely.

Sure, there might be a crazy in uniform for a short period of time who might try it once, but there are so many checks and balances it can't happen on a regular basis. Put your money where your mouth is ~ call it in and make a traceable complaint about it, if it really happens 'a couple times a week.' Either the officer(s) won't be officers long, or you'll be brought up on charges of filing false reports. Either way, we will then have some proof - one way or the other - of what you allege.

In the interest of giving you some benefit of doubt, however, I will add that citizens sometimes misinterpret what they see. An emergency vehicle (even fire trucks and ambulances) sometimes rush to an emergency call with lights and sirens activated, only to be cancelled while en route, for any number of reasons - the emergency turned out to not be an emergency, someone arrived sooner and neutralized the emergency so they canceled other responders, etc., etc. Citizens ~ like yourself ~ who are not privy to the radio traffic regarding the emergency only see an emergency vehicle suddenly discontinue Code response (lights & siren) and resume routine activities. Citizens ~ like yourself ~ who don't know any better sometimes jump to erroneous conclusions about what they saw.

And, PS: Hate to bust your bubble, but few jurisdictions ~ if any ~ require emergency lights or siren operation for lawful operations or even emergency response by law enforcement officials. So, just because a law enforcement vehicle is traveling fast but without lights & siren operating does not mean the vehicle is not responding to an emergency.

In fact, I told my deputies that they often could make better time in an emergency response (especially during daylight hours) WITHOUT the lights and siren. Proven. Even the ones who doubted me tried it and found it often true (especially in light to moderate traffic). So, my guys and I tried to stay away from the switches. Did some of our citizens ~ who didn't know any better ~ think we were screwing around? Perhaps. But we also surprised many burglars and interrupted many assaults and captured many, many bad guys who would have fled long before we arrived had they heard us coming. The citizens who may have assumed we were going to KFC for lunch benefitted by our effective tactic whether they understood it or not.

This is one time to listen to what Dan is saying, he knows what he is talking about

I call BS. No, I don't jest. But you don't know what you're talking about.

Any officer using emergency equipment and exceeding the speed limit just to go to coffee, doughnuts or lunch would not be an officer long. That's an unauthorized use of authority, abuse of power, and an ethical and professional violation sufficient to bring about penalties up to and including termination and revocation of peace officer certification. It is a very sensitive issue that is treated very seriously and policed very closely.

Sure, there might be a crazy in uniform for a short period of time who might try it once, but there are so many checks and balances it can't happen on a regular basis. Put your money where your mouth is ~ call it in and make a traceable complaint about it, if it really happens 'a couple times a week.' Either the officer(s) won't be officers long, or you'll be brought up on charges of filing false reports. Either way, we will then have some proof - one way or the other - of what you allege.

In the interest of giving you some benefit of doubt, however, I will add that citizens sometimes misinterpret what they see. An emergency vehicle (even fire trucks and ambulances) sometimes rush to an emergency call with lights and sirens activated, only to be cancelled while en route, for any number of reasons - the emergency turned out to not be an emergency, someone arrived sooner and neutralized the emergency so they canceled other responders, etc., etc. Citizens ~ like yourself ~ who are not privy to the radio traffic regarding the emergency only see an emergency vehicle suddenly discontinue Code response (lights & siren) and resume routine activities. Citizens ~ like yourself ~ who don't know any better sometimes jump to erroneous conclusions about what they saw.

And, PS: Hate to bust your bubble, but few jurisdictions ~ if any ~ require emergency lights or siren operation for lawful operations or even emergency response by law enforcement officials. So, just because a law enforcement vehicle is traveling fast but without lights & siren operating does not mean the vehicle is not responding to an emergency.

In fact, I told my deputies that they often could make better time in an emergency response (especially during daylight hours) WITHOUT the lights and siren. Proven. Even the ones who doubted me tried it and found it often true (especially in light to moderate traffic). So, my guys and I tried to stay away from the switches. Did some of our citizens ~ who didn't know any better ~ think we were screwing around? Perhaps. But we also surprised many burglars and interrupted many assaults and captured many, many bad guys who would have fled long before we arrived had they heard us coming. The citizens who may have assumed we were going to KFC for lunch benefitted by our effective tactic whether they understood it or not.

Edited by martinfan5

"[F]ew jurisdictions ~ if any ~ require emergency lights or siren operation for lawful operations or even emergency response by law enforcement officials. So, just because a law enforcement vehicle is traveling fast but without lights & siren operating does not mean the vehicle is not responding to an emergency.

"In fact, I told my deputies that they often could make better time in an emergency response (especially during daylight hours) WITHOUT the lights and siren. Proven. [...] Did some of our citizens ~ who didn't know any better ~ think we were screwing around? Perhaps. But we also surprised many burglars and interrupted many assaults and captured many, many bad guys who would have fled long before we arrived had they heard us coming. The citizens who may have assumed we were going to KFC for lunch benefitted by our effective tactic whether they understood it or not."

Edited by 1972coronet

Right about the time I was promoted and returned to the street, 1994, we implemented the call code system. Of course we were backward from everyone else in that a "Code 1 call" was a full on response requiring lights, siren, music, disco balls etc.

Again a loss of life from an accident resulted in the upper management devising the system. Truth is the officer who had the accident was responding with lights and siren in compliance with the current regs.

Funny thing was before then ,as city coppers, we rarely used the lights or siren. It was quicker to just drive there and handle the call. Hell I mostly used the lights only when blocking traffic at a scene or to stop a car. Woe be to some idiot who made a habit of running for take out using the lights. I saw the results of that when a private ambulance service vehicle operator activated the lights to leave a drive through. The civil case dragged on for 10 years.

Just recently I was passed by a CHiP on the 15 who was flat out rolling at about 0430 hours. No lights no siren, just shizzin and gittin. MrsG remarked "somethings up" and sure enough it was. Miles later I saw a deputy, and several CHiPs working an accident, a "bad one". Same same in Colorado a while back, only he was humping to assist another deputy with a car stop.

I can go on and on but smart folks will get my drift.

What I'm trying to say here some of us know the truth, mostly because, well, because we lived it, most folks do not have a clue.

John I vividly remember that day. We had a very, very restrictive pursuit policy before that and even though we were 1800 miles away, the brass used that as an example of why.

G

I'd like to drive one of the new Caprice police cars. One with the 5.8l LS1 derivitive. I'd get into sooooooo much trouble. I hear they handle like a dream.

Does Nevada or Arizona have the death penalty for speeding?

Back to the model. Decals today, much swearing as the set cracked a bit even after overcoating with Mico Scale Decal Film., I'll spot the areas with white enamel. I had to go get Solvaset to get the decals to conform to the darn door trim. I probably should have sanded that off and rebuilt the door panel with Evergreen strip. Pics soon.

G

When I spent a few years working along side Phoenix PD off duty officer at one of our level 1 trauma centers here, it was Sunday night, my favorite night of the work week, getting to work with at that time with a Sgt that had been on the dept for 22 years I think, anyways, I dont know how this came up but we were talking about running code, and that he hated running code with his lights on, he said at the most, he would have just the rear facing lights activated, more so just the rear flashers in the lightbar's. There was a lot more to it I believe, but cant remember :lol:

I remember one night while he was on duty, he swung by the Hospital to say hi, so I took a break and went out to where he was parked and I noticed on his unit, it did not have "supervisor" on the front fender(all PHX Pd have supervisor on the front fenders for patrol supervisors cars) , so I asked, hey sarge, you don't have supervisor on you car?, he said BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH right, I want to be able to sit at a scene and not be bothered, or not be known that there is a supervisor on scene, I had the shop take it off, and the day sgt that shares car, agrees with me too , again, not word for word, but close enough, its been awhile :o

Edited by martinfan5

When I spent a few years working along side Phoenix PD off duty officer at one of our level 1 trauma centers here, it was sunday night, my favorite night of the work week, getting to work with at that time with a Sgt that had been on the dept for 22 years I think, anyways, I dont know how this came up but we were talking about running code, and that he hated running code with his lights on, he said at the most, he would have just the rear facing lights activated, more so just the rear flashers in the lightbar's. There was a lot more to it I believe, but cant remember :lol:

That's because many of the 'average' motorists tend to pay no attention to their surroundings . . . until an emergency vehicle "running Code" is right upon them. Often, no matter how much the emergency responder tries to predict the motorist's reaction ~ no matter how many "pull over" or "move over" publicity campaigns or billboards, etc., there are ~ the motorist will do exactly the opposite of what common sense or statutes dictate.

When the lights and sirens are "on," you never know what the average motorist is going to do when they suddenly wake up . . . and decide to make a right turn to the curb . . . or the median . . . or, better still, to just slam on the brakes right in the middle of the traffic lane.

When the lights and sirens are not involved, emergency responders are generally able to drive around the rolling roadblocks called average motorists.

More emergency responders are injured in traffic collisions or crashes while responding to an emergency than are injured handling the emergency.

The odds of arriving alive increase greatly when the lights and sirens are "off."

That's because many of the 'average' motorists tend to pay no attention to their surroundings . . . until an emergency vehicle "running Code" is right upon them. Often, no matter how much the emergency responder tries to predict the motorist's reaction ~ no matter how many "pull over" or "move over" publicity campaigns or billboards, etc., there are ~ the motorist will do exactly the opposite of what common sense or statutes dictate.

When the lights and sirens are "on," you never know what the average motorist is going to do when they suddenly wake up . . . and decide to make a right turn to the curb . . . or the median . . . or, better still, to just slam on the brakes right in the middle of the traffic lane.

When the lights and sirens are not involved, emergency responders are generally able to drive around the rolling roadblocks called average motorists.

More emergency responders are injured in traffic collisions or crashes while responding to an emergency than are injured handling the emergency.

The odds of arriving alive increase greatly when the lights and sirens are "off."

Isnt running code with lights/siren off a double edged sword, meaning, if the officer is involved in a MVA?, will the officer be at fault, or do departments have polices in place for that as well?

Isnt running code with lights/siren off a double edged sword, meaning, if the officer is involved in a MVA?, will the officer be at fault, or do departments have polices in place for that as well?

Even if "Running Code*," no responder/driver is exempt from careful and safe driving, or effective defensive driving. As a trained professional, the responsibility is the responder/driver's to not create any collisions and to artfully avoid any that someone else tries to create. The officer won't be 'at fault' just for driving without lights & siren, but will be held to a high level of responsibility one way or the other. If the responder/driver is doing what we called 'running silent' (no siren), he/she has to be more careful.

The bottom line is this: You have to maintain control of your emergency vehicle and avoid any problems. If you have a problem, it's your fault; 'Running Code' or not.

Speed of the response factors into the equation whether running Code or not. But obviously, if you're running 'silent and dark' you've got to be MORE careful than ever. You have to treat every intersection as a four-way stop or an uncontrolled intersection, and every straightaway is a pure carp-shoot.

Just like any other "Right of Way" consideration, Running Code is asking for the right of way ~ even if motorists are required by law to yield to you. Having the legal right of way doesn't mean squat if you're upside down, maimed, dead, or otherwise unable to continue to the original emergency.

*Running Code: As Agent G mentioned, different agencies have different nomenclature. Many agencies use 'Code 1,' 'Code 2,' 'Code 3.' Other agencies use '10-100.' Some agencies use other words, numbers, or phrases.

Where I was on the job, 'Code 1' meant non-emergency response - no lights, sirens, or exceeding of the speed limit (running dark and silent). 'Code 2' meant expedited response - lights okay but no siren, exceeding of the speed limit as needed (running silent). 'Code 3' meant full emergent response - lights and siren, get there as fast as possible (running bright, loud and noisy).

The responder/driver's legal and moral responsibility was greater with each level of response and with every mile per hour above 'reasonable and prudent.' And, as the trained professional, he/she was EXPECTED to not be in a collision.

Edited by Danno