Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford Mustang destoryed , unknown cause

Today's News Poll:

245 viewers heard about this Mustang today.

;)

according to the thread about brands ,these must of been the last 245 people to hear of ford.

wouldn't there have to a flame or maybe a spark to get n20 to "blow"? Would a spark even be flammable

Easiest way to interpret what happened is airing up a bicycle tire until it explodes. Only some much pressure can be contained based on the expansion of the gas. Once that threshold has been passed...BOOM. The high temps insode the car caused the n2o to expand past the designed pressure limits of the n2o bottle.

Mark,Eric

I understand all that and I know that the bottle is under pressure. The volume of the car is much larger so a leak or pressure release wouldn't fill the car to the point of expansion .Id say the bleed off valve on the tank didn't do its job and then the tank exploded

Edited by mistermodel

N2o is NOT flammable! It is an OXIDIZER!

The "explosion" in question of that mustang would have involved no flame, but a very very rapid expansion of gas in a confined space

Mark is absolutely right. There is an unfortunate and widespread misconception that nitrous oxide is some kind of mystery, highly volatile and explosive "super fuel", when in fact it's only an oxidizer, as Mark states. <_<

The oxidizer in the air we (and your engine) breathe is oxygen, obviously, and it's available freely from the atmosphere to combine with fuel to produce familiar 'combustion', or 'burning'. Combustion (or burning) is the common name for rapid-oxidation, when a fuel AND an oxidizer COMBINE quickly. :o

Nitrous oxide is a stable and easily handled source of additional oxygen to act as an "oxidizer" inside an internal combustion engine, but the oxygen is chemically bound to nitrogen, and is inert and stable until heated to over 500deg. F (which occurs inside the operating engine), when the chemical bond breaks and the free oxygen becomes available for combustion. Additional fuel has to be provided to the engine along with the nitrous "shot" to be available to combine with this extra oxygen. Nitrous with no extra fuel does nothing, because it's NOT a fuel. B)

Nitrous oxide / supplemental-fuel-enrichment injection is simply a way to overcome the physical pumping limitations of an internal combustion engine and FORCE more fuel and oxygen into the engine than would otherwise be available (in a way, similar to what supercharging does, but by a different method) and the extra fuel and oxygen produce more power when they combine, inside the engine, during combustion. :)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Mark is absolutely right. There is an unfortunate and widespread misconception that nitrous oxide is some kind of mystery, highly volatile and explosive "super fuel", when in fact it's only an oxidizer, as Mark states. <_<

The oxidizer in the air we (and your engine) breathe is oxygen, obviously, and it's available freely from the atmosphere to combine with fuel to produce familiar 'combustion', or 'burning'. Combustion (or burning) is the common name for rapid-oxidation, when a fuel AND an oxidizer COMBINE quickly. :o

Nitrous oxide is a stable and easily handled source of additional oxygen to act as an "oxidizer" inside an internal combustion engine, but the oxygen is chemically bound to nitrogen, and is inert and stable until heated to over 500deg. F (which occurs inside the operating engine), when the chemical bond breaks and the free oxygen becomes available for combustion. Additional fuel has to be provided to the engine along with the nitrous "shot" to be available to combine with this extra oxygen. Nitrous with no extra fuel does nothing, because it's NOT a fuel. B)

Nitrous oxide / supplemental-fuel-enrichment injection is simply a way to overcome the physical pumping limitations of an internal combustion engine and FORCE more fuel and oxygen into the engine than would otherwise be available (in a way, similar to what supercharging does, but by a different method) and the extra fuel and oxygen produce more power when they combine, inside the engine, during combustion. :)

But if you are running nitrous and you aren't adding more fuel the engine can run lean and a lot of things can happen, burnt pistons/melted pistons, melting valves and much more B)

Edited by Dragfreak

I get a rise out of the folks who act like running lean is only dangerous running nitrous... Turbos or superchargers do exactly the same thing as nitrous does - more air in. Run lean under boost and your gonna have a bad time. Hell run lean ANY time and your gonna have a bad time.

Guest Johnny

My 1:1 toy is factory supercharged, and the blower over spun with a smaller pulley to the tune of about 16lbs of boost. I agree Mark, proper tuning is very important

Ever seen a block bust in one of those cars? Not pretty thing to see. ;)

Guest Johnny

Lean = death. Lean it out and your gonna blow your junk UP! Like I said I'm planning on a plate and fogger system on my mill, 250-300 fogger shot and a 100 shot on the plate

I can't count the number of times you see that at test and tune! Just about the 100ft mark, boom!

BTW, you guys ever see what an acetylene tank will do to a car :blink:

http://www.google.com/search?q=acetylene+explosion+in+car&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=I_HoUau-KuXEyQHdv4DACg&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=641

krierview-2.jpg

Best looking Cavalier I have ever seen, I am diggin the lambo doors

Um, I think those might be the roof......and maybe the quarter panels too :huh:

Edited by Joe Handley

Ever seen a block bust in one of those cars? Not pretty thing to see. ;)

Nope, in the almost 10 years of playing with 4v Ford motors never seen one split. The old 302 small blocks I have seen split through the lifter valley and along the mains like a watermelon.