Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dodge Charger and Chevorlet Camaro

wheelingmountaineer

Thanks. Wouldd you have any suggestions as far as gluing the parts together. I paint them then glue them together but the paint smears at times. I also tried to glue everything together but it was really hard to paint especially getting into tight spots. I glued the interior together (seats, steering wheel, etc) and it was impossible to paint spots behind the steering wheel, on the side of the seats, etc.

You're doing good to start, better than me when I first started modeling! LOL! :rolleyes: Try painting the parts separately, then when dry, scrape the paint off where you'll put the glue, just a little. Follow the instructions and google pictures of 1:1 cars, it helps to see the real thing.

Keep up the good work.

Roy

Also, try to paint every part before you even begin assembly. Stay within your instructions until you've gotten a few models under your belt. Example, if Step 1 is putting the motor together, try not to move forward untill you have all of the parts painted and glued together. Proceed to Step 2.

Also, try using a toothpick with your glue. Allow me to explain- With your super glue in one hand and a toothpick in the other, gently put a small amount of superglue on the tip of the toothpick. This allows you to control your glue better as well as getting it in tight spaces. Superglue can go a long way when used respectively.

Another thing to remember is to test fit each and every single piece before you commit to gluing. Some pieces may need to be trimmed, or paint may have built up in the corresponding hole to the part you are working with.

The biggest thing to keep in mind, is to take your time. If you feel that you are getting frustrated, or angry, walk away. Go get something to drink, grab a bite to eat or something. Just as long as you walk away. It's a hobby that's meant to be enjoyed and have fun. Don't let it become a chore.

Overall, you are off to a great start. My first model was painted with a brush and had brush marks and bristle's on everything. :lol:

Wheeling, Your lighting used in your pics is pretty dim. May I suggest taking photos of your builds outdoors if you have no brighter lights? It will really make your colors and details stand out more. I cant really tell what colors you were going for. Is the challenger red or orange, and I assume the Camaro is yellow?

Welcome to the hobby. Those models are worlds better than my first in the hobby. So here are some things that will help you.

On each piece, scrape or sand off all mold lines, ejector pin marks (round dimples in the part) and sprue connection points with sanding sticks. You can find them in the nail care area of your local beauty supply shop. They will become the tool you just can't do without, in about five minutes. They come in several grits.

Spray paint everything you can. Krylon from Walmart will do you for everything black, silver, white, tan etc. If the engine block and heads are both going to be orange, feel free to glue them together first.

Let everything dry completely. There is nothing worse than fingerprints in fresh paint. A lack of patience was my biggest downfall when I was young.

White Elmers glue for all clear parts. Drys clear and is washable with water if you use too much.

Practice!!! None of use got where we are without messing up a lot of models.