Model Cars Magazine Forum

First build in 18 years. 69 Camaro.

om617

Hello.

First off,i hope you all understand my bad english :rolleyes: I have mostly been following the projects and amazing builds you

guys/girls have on this site. Lot of good advice and inspiration. I have mostly been buying stuff since i discovered this

forum,it became a little addiction too :lol: Well,enough blabla,here is the project i have going for now.

First is the Revell 69 Camaro Yenko. Painted Tamiya Gun Metal with Pearl Clear,also Tamiya. Not 100% sure what

engine i will go for with this. I have two i`m considering,either the LS7 v8,or the 572 with twin turbo set up. I think

i`ll go for carbon fiber hood and front & rear spoiler. Maby some carbon fiber details,so i guess it`s pro touring sorta.

Ok,here are some pics. Sorry about the quality.

1-9.jpg

Edited by om617

Thanks for the comments :)

Some progress,chassis fairly done,need shocks on the backaxle and i will need to build a brand new exhaust.

I`m a little nervous if the exhaust will go clear of the steeringbox,we will see when the engine arrive. As you can

see the wheels are 19",actually 15" wheels from the kit inserted onto 19" rings from Pegasus. I think it look okay

but consider painting the spokes darker,maby same color as the car. Also playing around with a cage but i think

i will skip that,it`s meant as a daily,not a track monster. But,it will get some seats with good support. You will have

to excuse the horrible color on the tub,cant belive the molded the entire kit this way. The inside of the car will be

painted in light color,maby chreme/tan. I`m so tired of black interiours.

Ok,here are a few pics.

010.jpg

007-3.jpg

Edited by om617

Anyone think decals look good on Camaro? Or maby i should just keep it minimal,less is more as some say. I`m not to happy with this Tamyia clear,i think i have 5 or 6 coats on it but i cant say i find it very shiny. And if i go with more coat`s now it`s going to affect the molded details. If anyone know or could recomend the perfect size for distributor/plug wires it would be great too.

Still waiting for the drivetrain and some other stuff.

So the cowl is gone from the hood. Needs a little fine tuning with sandpaper before i can fit a piece of styrene sheet to replace it.

Input on what type of putty i can use and paper type,like 600-800-1000 etc. Never done this before. It look more awful than it is

because of some of the primer is gone around the edge.

Edited by om617

• 2 months later...

009.jpg

010-1.jpg

004-2.jpg

011.jpg

Slowly coming together. Attempt at scratch build front spoiler and added some BMF. Center of wheels are painted,interiour fairly done

with only added Dodge Viper seats and Mopar steering wheel,also needs some flick with paint,i had such bad light when painting you

can see some missed spots,or the camera DO see it :P

• 4 weeks later...

Test fit on the LS7.

001-2.jpg

002.jpg

Little extra punch from an Pro Charger is never wrong. Not sure if i will go thru the hazzle of mount an intercooler.

003.jpg

004-4.jpg

Plan is to mount it so it cathes cold air from the side of radiator instead of having it suck warm air inside the engine room.

This set up is common on modern Corvette like the C6,there maby because of lack of space. Not sure how to make a

nice bracket for it,but if i fondle enough i think it could be done. Any progress is good progress,right?

This is looking very nice, Tommy. Thoughtful planning and careful execution are paying off here.

Where did the LS7 come from? I'm looking for one to put into a '39 Chevy.

By the way, although it's sad to say, your English is better than a lot of native speakers here.

This is looking very nice, Tommy. Thoughtful planning and careful execution are paying off here.

Where did the LS7 come from? I'm looking for one to put into a '39 Chevy.

By the way, although it's sad to say, your English is better than a lot of native speakers here.

Thank you. The engine is a nice cast from VCG Resins,here: http://vcgresin.atspace.com/

• 2 months later...

I like your build. Lot of work on this one to get the look you want and your do'ing a good job on it. As for any putty work I use MMD green Squadron Products. I start sanding with 150 grit get it smooth then add more to low areas as needed after the area is shaped the way I want,I sand it with 200 then 400 then primer. After primer I use 600 on the primer all wet sanding. Then I start painting it and wet sanding with 800 up to 1000,1200,1500 if needed for a mirror finish.

I love the look you had with the original mock-up with those body colored wheels. Why the new body? The cowl hood looks a bit excessive to me, but is cool. The LS7 is a nice addition too. Really like what your doing here.

And as for your English, I'm originally from Brooklyn, NY. I've been told I can't speak English to my face. :lol:

Thanks guys.

The new body is because i screw up when foiling the rear window,i cut to deep,so deep it took the primer.

Also i hate that it was molded in yellow. I purchased Tamiya primer for this,said to be very good stuff. Also

improved some on my foiling so i hope this goes okay,if i use it at all. Yes it looked clean as it was,but then

i stumbled upon some pics of Sunco Camaro`s and cars from the Trans Am series,that look is bad*** so i

wanted somthing like that but a little more street friendly <_<

Yeah New York has it`s certain funky to the english :P

Edit: Wheels on this look great imo.

post-11584-0-28580900-1392512744_thumb.j

Edited by om617