Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do I make acrylic paint crack?

Ok, guys, here's the deal:

I want to make my Tamiya acrylic paint crack into small, tiny cracks. What house-hold chemistry should I spray or pour over it? I tryed nail-enamel-remover, alcohol, nitro thinner, Revell Colormix... Nothing happened... :/ Any advice?

If it's easier to make Revell enamels crack with something, just let me know. Heck, I'll paint the vinyl roof with enamels, then... :D

Thank you for any advice!

Best regards,

Damir

Try their acrylic clear X22 . It's known to crack over the color paints. Future also will crack over it.

I have never had either crack on thier paints.

You can get stuff at the craft store meant to crack paint - I haven't tried it under Tamiya, but it works under acrylics from the craft store.

I'm not sure if this will help your situation or not, but I've noticed that krylon fusion does not like to be top-coated. I've tried putting krylon triple thick crystal clear over the fusion and it wound up cracking. I'm not sure if it is specific to that combination or if anything put on top of the fusion will crackle. Either way, it's definitely another avenue that can be explored. Good luck.

Cracking will occurr when two different types of paint are used one over the other. I'd spray an enamel base, then over coat it with Tamiya acrylic. Enamel is a slow drying paint and the acrylic dries in a moment. The Tamiya cracks as the enamel dries.

Use enamel thinner for the enamel and Tamiya's own acrylic thinner for the acrylic.

That way you have two completely different types of paint and no chance they'll merge, like if you use laquer thinner.

G

Mike, I've never heard of this stuff - thank you for the info! I will check it out on them interwebs ;)

Vreeble was a crackle finish paint produced by Metalflake Co. in the '70s-'80s and is no longer available to my knowledge.

Check out "crackle nail polish" on eBay. ;)

I saw that Agent G was offering an answer to the question, "How do I make acrylic paint crack?"

I instantly envisioned his answer to be something along the lines of employing a hardback upright wooden chair, a very bright light in the eyes, and a rubber hose.

:lol::lol::lol:

I saw that Agent G was offering an answer to the question, "How do I make acrylic paint crack?"

I instantly envisioned his answer to be something along the lines of employing a hardback upright wooden chair, a very bright light in the eyes, and a rubber hose.

You know me all to well.

I am no longer allowed to hang someone by their ankles from the fourth floor interrogation room windows............................

G

I was thinking the exact same thing. Maybe by playing Good Modeler/Bad Modeler.

But it is an intriguing problem. I think I'd like to be able to create this effect but can't think of how. I'll experiment some and see what I come up with.

And I have never seen Tamiya's X-22 clear crack over any of their other acrylics. And I can't imagine why Tamiya would offer a clear that would do so.

Anyway, I hope someone can come up with something.

Edited by Chillyb1

I remembered a thread from Dr Cranky about making cracking paint ... was a new product he tried called Distress Crackle Paint ... it's near the end of the page.

I remembered a thread from Dr Cranky about making cracking paint ... was a new product he tried called Distress Crackle Paint ... it's near the end of the page.

I got that stuff finally over here in The Netherlands and used it for the Rommel's Rod and it works really wel and easy, the thicker the coat, the bigger the crackles.

No need for complex misbehaviour of regular paints.