Model Cars Magazine Forum

Badboy Corvette C6r From Laguna Seca

JHDrew

I really enjoyed seeing the Corvette C6Rs and their new paint scheme at the ALMS race at Laguna Seca this year. It looked so bad ass I just had to have one for myself. Remember, this car just raced on the 20th of October. I'm moving fast.

Here's the actual car:

BBV_C6R_5-vi.jpg

BBV_C6R_3-vi.jpg

I got all the graphics figured out and reproduced in Paint Shop Pro then printed with a good laser jet.

I had to make my own yellow film to match the paint by painting a white decal sheet with the Tamiya Crome Yellow. The decals at the top and the skull on the bottom right were added to the yellow sheet as well.

Decals-vi.jpg

I had to hand draw the drivers names and scan them in before reproducing on the laser jet.

DriverArtwork-vi.jpg

Here's the progress of the decal application after the primary paint was applied to the body of the Revell C6R. Due to the multiple layers of decal film and sealer I had to use a ton of softener. The louver covering was a particular pain. Each slot had to be carfully slit without tearing the decal film. Oh what fun we have...

DecalProgress02-vi.jpg

DecalProgress04-vi.jpg

DecalProgress08-vi.jpg

DecalProgress10-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Jim Drew

Jim, That is going to be awesome!!!! What you have gotten done so far is tremendous! Fantastic artwork.

You could probably make a few dollars selling a few of those sets. I know I would buy some.

Ismael is going to love this!!

Keep us updated. By far the baddest looking C6-R.

Chris

That looks like a very complex sheet to create but if you were willing to produce some sheets for sale I think you could name your own price. I'd even be willing to pay in my currently inflated Canadian dollars.

I look forward to seeing the finished model it's going to be a winner.

robw

I was lucky enough to be at the races and those were the best looking Corvettes I've ever seen. Your decal work is really nice! Please let us know if you are thinking about selling these decals cause I'd love to do this car. I am looking forward to seeing your progress on this build. Thank you for sharing this work.

Jim, My 15 year old son, well, he dislikes cars. To him they are point a to point b mechanical devices. Well, he saw this thread and literally out loud said, "that is the sickest vette he has ever seen".

Now I gotta find a way to get decals... Thanks Jim! LOL

Chris

Work continues...

I opened up the rear end to show the rear radiator. Aside from some carbon fiber decal these are the only aftermarket parts that I will use. I noticed that after I downloaded the pictures I neglected to get a shot of the Sakatsu wheels. Oh well, next time. They are the closest I could find but are about $15 a pair.

BBVaftermarket-vi.jpg

The FineMolds radiator mesh is very nice but it's detail will be lost behind the Studio 27 C-mesh screening. I had to cut the three outer circles out of the 19" fan shrowd in order to use it for the 12" fan. The Detail Master kit is very nice.

BBVfan02-vi.jpg

BBVfan04-vi.jpg

The next time you see pictures of the Bad Boys Vette will be in the "Under Glass" section. There's not much additional work that would help anybody here. It's almost done so stay tuned.

Thanks for looking and hope you enjoyed it.