Model Cars Magazine Forum

Baby powder for texture?

I've never used baby powder. But, I have used baking soda for carpet and am real happy with the way it looks. I've never thought of using baby powder on the seats.

Be careful of baking soda. It contains salt and will sweat with humidity. Ask me how I know!

I've never tried baby powder, I've heard of folks using it as a thickener with glue to use as putty. For seats, Scale Motorsports makes a Faux Fabrix spray in several colors that leaves a texture. It could also be painted over if you wanted another color. I've used their medium brown and it worked well on a pickup seat. Also, I've used masking tape to give texture to seats, just as others have used it to make vinyl roofs. Check for the different brands, which also differ in the surface texture. I found the cheap brands at the dollar store have the roughest patterns, which translate well to seats. This is great when you have seat inserts, which you can either leave the kit's detail of the border, or use scale ignition wire or thread for the border. You can also cover the entire seat, just like you would be making a seat cover.

MVC003F-1-vi.jpg

Scale Motorsports Faux Fabrix on the seat insert. Looks good, I don't know if you can see the texture in this photo.