Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mack R model and logging trailer

making progress, took a lot of casting lines off of the hood, it looks good in primer. I scribed the cab panel lines, and blackwashed [first time doing such], and after primer I can see a difference in how it stands out. I have most of the trailer parts painted, and all of them have spent about 4 hours in the dehydrator, so tomorrow will be cab/hood sanding, then maybe some color. here is where I am at now,

photo_zpsd9a64ccf.jpg

photo_zpsfa0e47ca.jpg

I decided to do the cab and hood first this time around, as I feel this is the hardest part of the build, you know, trying to get the paint right. if that comes out ok, the rest seems easy.

Jim B also pointed out that I will need to extend the truck frame after the rear axles, as I have only managed an OOB build so far, what are my options materials-wise? never 'scratch built' anything before, so suggestions are welcome, I don't really know what's available out there to use to dream up stuff.

as always, thanks for reading, and all help is appreciated.

Jim B also pointed out that I will need to extend the truck frame after the rear axles, as I have only managed an OOB build so far, what are my options materials-wise? never 'scratch built' anything before, so suggestions are welcome, I don't really know what's available out there to use to dream up stuff.

as always, thanks for reading, and all help is appreciated.

I'm not sure Tom, as it's been a long time since I was in my logger kit, but I do think the instructions offer help in how long and how to build the frame extensions needed for the trailer. If I remember correctly, the extension is not that big and is more or less to "box" the end of the frame rails for the pintle hook to hook the trailer center beam to the tractor.

If I were you id install the piece that is the bottom of the rear can before I paint. If I remember right it leaves a nasty seem that you'd wanna get rid of. Just my 2 cents. Looks awesome so far tho.

thanks for the tip, although I wish I would have read this about 15 minutes ago, lol. only have the first mist of paint on it, so I guess my next step is going to be assembling that before anymore paint.

thanks again.

well, i'm makin progress, albeit slowly. first time working with putty. i'm using Tamiya white putty. still needs a little work, but happy so far.

photo_zps971b6710.jpg

got the hood masked and sprayed some black on the nose,

photo_zps1d1a5098.jpg

photo_zps5bd7f1cb.jpg

that's about it for now, still want to massage the cab a touch, can still see a little bit of a seam.

getting there. my body work seems to have turned out well, granted it was only filling a seam, but as it was another first for me, and i'm pleased with the results. paint is also getting better, way less orange peel in this one. I wet sanded it, and I think with a good wet coat, it's going to be smooth and glossy [i hope, lol]. I wasn't happy with my paint line on the hood, so I revisited that [drying now], so I hope I have that sorted. here's some updated pic's.

photo_zps20bbbca8.jpg

photo_zpsbb636418.jpg

photo_zpsc3f1b14c.jpg

photo_zpse6d623fd.jpg

looks great..have you thought of putting a pin stripe to break up the yellow and black..(maybe silver) i think it would look great..i seen another truck that he did that to and it really broght the paint out..just saying...

Edited by Swamp Dog

looks great..have you thought of putting a pin stripe to break up the yellow and black..(maybe silver) i think it would look great..i seen another truck that he did that to and it really broght the paint out..just saying...

actually i have been thinking about that, guess i need to get some striping material and see what it looks like.

actually i have been thinking about that, guess i need to get some striping material and see what it looks like.

Tom u want regret it..are you on any of the face book truck groups ? their is a guy on there that used siver pinstrape tape and it made his truck look 100% better..

So Tom and I were talking the other day via IM, comparing notes, even personality similarities. And this guy tells me he's NOT OCD? Haha!

Look at how organized everything is in those pictures lol!

Looking great! Had to call you out though.

haha, ya, I get a bit crazy when i'm working on something and spend more time looking for stuff than I do actually working.

Tom u want regret it..are you on any of the face book truck groups ? their is a guy on there that used siver pinstrape tape and it made his truck look 100% better..

don't do face book, I spend enough time on model related sites as it is..........

I am going to pick up some striping next trip to the hobby store and give it a try.

holy moly that's a lot of truck. killer stripe job on that. our reconditioning dept at work had some silver stripe, so I gave it a shot. like the color contrast, but my technique needs refining, lol. here is my attempt,

photo_zpsf274633a.jpg

don't really have a transition to the cab, so not 100% sure if it'll stay, but by itself, I like the way it looks.