Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looks like Tom Daniel didn't get the memo....

as are most of these kits, mear toys in my opinion. :huh: If someone is going to take the time and effort to "clone" something , why not the Racing Scenes from Aurora ?

Because there are way more people who would buy a TD kit than the racing scenes kit. The bottom line matters!

Bathtub Buggy was a George Barris design. And, unlike most of the TD kits, the model was based on a 1:1 car.

Yep your right Carl....but there was a Barris kit and a Monogram one too even though there different still like them both.

I remember those old Aurora race scenes kits had them when I was a kid pretty cool too...I had the garage,tool box,engines,and chassis and car body kits....memories.

Edited by disabled modeler

Zero interest in any of these, but if the sales of them help finance the tooling of new kits, I'm all for it..

I would like to see the California Street 'Vette re-issued. That is the only kit I would really really want!

What these guys said.

Because there are way more people who would buy a TD kit than the racing scenes kit. The bottom line matters!

And there aren't too many people who would want a Hudson Hornet kit, but we now have at least two kits available. The racing scene kits (and others like it) could be reissued as limited issue kits.

A Hudson Hornet had been on builders' "most wanted" lists for years.

But which builders- the average builder or the more involved, more discriminating scale modeler who is tired of the usual subjects and wants to build something different? It seems as though parts packs of different kinds are being (re)introduced often and in the long run, the racing scenes kits are nothing more than parts packs.

A Hudson Hornet had been on builders' "most wanted" lists for years.

A Hudson model has been on the wanted list for years. Maybe not at the top of every list....but on it.

The other factor in the Hudson being viable is that it appealed to the non model car crowd. I have attended a number of the HET National conventions (Hudson Essex Terraplane) as a semi official Moebius rep. The real car Hudson enthusiast is a die hard hobbyist. They buy about anything that is well done with a Hudson badge. I displayed Moebius Hudson build ups at their shows.....and these guys could not wait to buy multiple copies of the kit themselves. This is the kind of market a kit needs today.

I doubt the molds for the Aurora 1/16 drag kits are still around. Many of the Aurora molds that Monogram bought are gone or were damaged behond use. They were great kits but even back in the day they got blown out at discount stores. I paid $5 for my garage set.

That might happen Greg but they will have made money in the process . A later release will make them more money. That is what matters to us. If they make money they keep making money and will produce the kits you like. As a lover of models I am happy when they make a kit that is a good seller , even if I do not buy it.

I wonder how many people knew Revell reverse engineered the Dragon Wagon Circus Wagon and Rommel's Rod (the Tijuana Taxi, too?) kits when Revell released them a few years ago, too. I mentioned backdating the Dog Catcher/Sand Shark and Lil Van/Sand Crab kits to Ed Sexton in April, but I don't think the latter has the same appeal and sales potential as the Dragon Wagon and Rommel's Rod kits, at least not enough to justify the cost of new/backdated tooling. The Dog Catcher, maybe.

But which builders- the average builder or the more involved, more discriminating scale modeler who is tired of the usual subjects and wants to build something different?

Doesn't that pretty much make up the entire model car market nowadays? Is there really such a thing as a "casual modeler" left? We keep hearing about fewer and fewer modelers- how many ways can that ever-shrinking group come up with another way to build a '55 Chevy hardtop? I think all of us are tired of the "usual" subjects to an extent.

Seriously, Greg? It should be painfully obvious even to you that those kits aren't of the same car. The fact the car in the box top illustration in the top photo has twin tubs while the one one on the bottom has only one is your first clue ... <_<

The bottom kit is Monogram's George Barris-designed Bathtub Buggy. The one on the bottom is a Doyusha/Eldon kit of a 1:1 show car designed and built by Bob Reisner and known simply as "The Bathtub." Both kits were originally released in 1969, and, while I don't know this for a fact, logic would seem to dictate the reason Reisner chose to call his creation "The Bathtub" was that Barris was already using the name "Bathtub Buggy."

Both kits are listed here ...

http://www.showrods.com/home_page_links/alpha_list.html

Yes. Stevie Wonder could see those are two entirely different kits & he's blind. If he couldn't see that for some unknown reason, Ray Charles could see it & tell Stevie, & Ray is both blind & dead.

Edited by Bob Turner

Hey! :o I didn't start this bathtub thing, I don't like either one. And I'd venture Mr Barris didn't build the first one either. I was just posing a question. "same car (?)" as I was presenting both cars ,(yes they are different as any blind fool can see that yes indeed they are different) for the rest of the untutored to see for their own selves. :huh: Seriously ;)

bathtub_show_car_640_06.jpg

You doubt the molds are still around ? Where have you been the last twenty years or so? This has to be the greatest Urban myth of the modeling hobby. Did you miss the train wreck ?

Now to your "Blow Out at the discount store" name a kit that hasn't been blown out once they were past their prime. I think most kits at one time or another have found their way to the "blow out : table. Did I tell you the story of the $20 Pocher kits at K Mart? :o Your Hudson kits will end up there sooner or later. Who would have thought Revell would be "Blowing out" the last of the AM Grand Sport Corvettes? :huh:

I don't come here claiming to 'know all'. And at times I my be incorrect or get things crossed up.

But I have worked with MANY of the major players in the plastic model field. Many have been to my home.

And thus I have a lot of time to find the answers to many of the myths and tales of tooling past.

It also has given me a lot of insight into the inner workings of the plastic biz.

I'd like to spill all the beans and tell it all.......but then I'd never work in the biz again. Maybe some day.

BTW....there was a train wreck that did affect Aurora molds.....but a minor issue in what was kept and what was not. These old school nickel steel molds are worth LOTS of money today.....so their value may be higher as scrap than fixing and running them.

We have more good stuff today than the size of the market allows. Be happy....build something.

Hey! :o I didn't start this bathtub thing, I don't like either one. And I'd venture Mr Barris didn't build the first one either. I was just posing a question. "same car (?)" as I was presenting both cars ,(yes they are different as any blind fool can see that yes indeed they are different) for the rest of the untutored to see for their own selves. :huh: Seriously ;)

bathtub_show_car_640_06.jpg

THAT is freaking neat!!! :)

But have you looked at the engines? You could almost run them what with all the parts they had, cam,crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons,etc. You ain't seen nothing like this in a plastic kit except maybe that 1/25th scale 427 Ford, oh yeah, that was an Aurora kit as well. :Daurora-427engine1.JPGaurora-427engine2.JPG

Edited by Greg Myers