Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another desert Panzer, but with a twist.

I decided to take and build something quickly kind of taking a break after the headless horseman. This is a Dragon kit of a Panzer III N used in North Africa.

DSCF4626_zpsa30a5fa4.jpg

DSCF4627_zpse0194cd8.jpg

DSCF4628_zps2968ed2a.jpg

The photo etch came with the kit as did the one piece flexible track.

Now here's the twist.

DSCF4629_zpscd27ff88.jpg

Yup, braille scale. Got this gem for $9.99 on sale.

G

I'm actually going to call this complete as the only thing I added was an oil wash on the tracks after these photos. I detail painted everything in acrylic, then did a pin wash with MM Enamel Grunbraun darkened with burnt umber oil. It brought out the color modulation so I decided to leave well enough alone.

DSCF4636_zps87a5f33a.jpg

DSCF4637_zps2b9ef4d1.jpg

DSCF4639_zpsf39a402e.jpg

DSCF4640_zps05d03610.jpg

Here's my only other 1/72 scale build, it's a Pz IV from the 1st Panzer Division in Italy.

DSCF4643_zpsb7ab9608.jpg

I'll create a desert base for the Pz III that is similar.

DSCF4645_zpsd809ac3f.jpg

G

Edited by Agent G

Man Wayne! Armor has always scared me because it's usually in larger scales but this thing is a wonder of its own. Detail packed in smaller scale stuff has always caught my attention. Nice job!!! I work primarily in 48th scale stuff so I can identify with the headaches behind the eyes! LOL

Well done on the Panzers. The figures look good, too. The Germans used tan Panzers in Italy? Was this because most of the equipment in Italy was from the retreat from North Africa?

Thank you all.

Jim, that is actually Dark Yellow on the PzIV. Lightened up a bit with Deck Tan it looks tan. I went light due to the scale. The G model was brand new when the switch from dark gray to dark yellow occurred.

Interestingly enough, Panzers slated for North Africa were shipped to Russia after the surrender of the Panzer Armee Afrika. So the Russian front saw tan/sand/green panzers upon which troops painted dark gray stripes. Now that is a curious sight, contest judges shake their heads until someone states fact.

I spent the better part of two years building Marine Corps Shermans from WWII. I have completed 6 so far and have just scratched the surface. I have one entire 4drawer storage unit filled with Sherman minutia. The kits themselves are stored elsewhere.

Truth be told after the fall of the "Iron Curtain" we discovered a relative that had served in the 15th Panzer Division and was captured in Tunisia by US troops. Thus I have an affinity for Afrika Korps subjects.

I get really involved in projects.

:lol:

G