Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's your build percentage?

Kind of interesting how some people are proud of how many models they build each year or how many they own or some other number. Then they are inclined to make a comment about how the other side is in some manner strange as if it makes them somehow a better modeler. None of this matters! It is nice to put it out here, but as long as someone is having fun with the hobby, it doesn't matter. I have lots of kits but to classify me as a hoarder is not right. I plan on building every one them if I have to live to 175. I am lucky to get a couple of models done each year. I love taking my time with a model and detailing the heck out of it. I love creating some minuscule part that no one but I will see. I still like the thrill of picking up a new kit that is special to me in some way. I like going to shows, but am not so much into competition any more, though I was when I was younger. I like chatting with my friends on this board and others. A appreciate other genera's of building, but don't always like the subject matter. F1 and LeMans are my preferences, and Nascar and lowriders don't mean anything to me though I appreciate one well built. I am a modeler. Please don't try to limit who is a "good" modeler based on numbers or categories or some other esoteric definition. Just accept it for what it is. A great hobby that just about anyone can participate in.

Yeah, as my daughter once said when she went off to Culinary School "I was told that there would be NO MATH..!!

I've got about 150 unbuilt kits and I built 13 of them last year. So far this year I've built 9. Since I switched gears and am only building 1950's cars for the time being (and I've got A LOT left to build and to buy) I'm seriously considering selling or trading off some of the non '50's unbuilt models.

I think the math is skewed, I don't think completed is the right "bench"mark. As previously mentioned I have a lot of started , ongoing projects that I work on as the skills or needed parts avail themselves . My son James however has to have a 1200% build rate as he's built 12 of my snap kits ,unless my math is off.

This is an interesting exercise, but the formula itself renders the numbers meaningless. Dividing the number of completions in one year by the number of aquisitions over multiple years means there is no real relationship between the factors. Also, in my case as well as many others here, I usually require at least two kits, or parts thereof, to complete one build.

O.K....The real story is I'm just embarassed by how the math comes out for me. :lol:

It's not a debate. It's a fact. If you build every kiy you have, then you've built 100% of them. You can't build 110% of them, because you can't build more than you have!

I was just posting what the results of doing the math, I know you cant do more the 100%.

But in order have built 51 one model kits this year, I would of had to have those said 51 model kits in my possession to been able to build them, correct?

For the math to come out right, you would need to include the built kits as part of the stash. After all, they were in the stash before you built them, right?

"If I did it correctly, I am 110.86 %."

Obviously your math is flawed. ;)

Ok, going by the opening post, which is what I did to get the numbers, 51x100= 5100 divide that by the number of unbuilts 46, so 5100 divided by 46 = 110.8695652173913

Or, counting the 51 as unbuilts, so that changes it to 97, 5100 divided by 97 = 52.57731958762887, but wouldnt that be incorrect, as those 51 are built. I could add the 5 kits that I have paid for, but are awaiting me to have them shipped, that makes the current stash numbers 51 , yes, really, 51, so I have built 51 this one year, have 51 unbuilts, so lets use these new numbers and see what the % is, so 51 built X100 = 5100 divided by 51 unbuilts =100%

Edited by martinfan5

Ok, going by the opening post, which is what I did to get the numbers, 51x100= 5100 divide that by the number of unbuilts 46, so 5100 divided by 46 = 110.8695652173913

Opening post:

First, how many model kits do you own?

How many builds did you complete last year?

Calculate build percentage.

If I owned 100 unbuilt kits, and I built 25 last year, my completion percentage would be 25% of the kits I owned (25 out of 100 owned). If I owned 500 kits, and completed 50 of them, my completion percentage would be 10% (50 out of 500).

There is no way you can build more than 100% of the kits that you own. No matter how many kits you own, it's impossible to build more than that. Building every kit you own would mean your build percentage is 100%. You can't build 110% of the kits you own, because you only own 100% of the kits you own! You can't possibly own (or build) more kits than you have!

I know I'm different than a lot of you guys in that I don't have a huge stash of unbuilt kits. I tend to buy a kit with the intention of building it, not with the intention of storing it, so my stash of unbuilt kits is very small... maybe 20-25 or so, tops. I'd guess that I build the vast majority of kits I buy... probably around 85-90%.

You're VERY different Harry.

Opening post:

First, how many model kits do you own?

How many builds did you complete last year?

Calculate build percentage.

If I owned 100 unbuilt kits, and I built 25 last year, my completion percentage would be 25% of the kits I owned (25 out of 100 owned). If I owned 500 kits, and completed 50 of them, my completion percentage would be 10% (50 out of 500).

There is no way you can build more than 100% of the kits that you own. No matter how many kits you own, it's impossible to build more than that. Building every kit you own would mean your build percentage is 100%. You can't build 110% of the kits you own, because you only own 100% of the kits you own! You can't possibly own (or build) more kits than you have!Okay

Okay

Edited by martinfan5

Actually, there is a scenario in which you could have more then 100% and it is a technicality. This year, I have acquired 1 model and built it. I also had a friend/customer come buy and give me a kit to build for him. Technically, I never owned or acquired the model, but I built 2 kits thus, 200% completion rate. ;)

I have currently 46 unbuilt, 6 more that are waiting for me to have shipped, one that I just started working on, just the body is in primer, but I have completed 51 builds for the year

If I did it correctly, I am 110.86 %

You have to include the unbuilt as part of your total. So, 46 unbuilt + 51 completed = 52.58% of your 97 kits built, not including the 6 to come.

Your % works out 15.56! I'm guessing that's way higher than the average. I think some of our hoarders are afraid to put their numbers up! lol

OK thank you. I just started back into the hobby about a year and a half to two years ago so that percentage may go WAY down as I'm trying to learn new techniques and methods and have been slowly building up my bravery to try new things