Model Cars Magazine Forum

1911 Christie fire engine WIP

This is the first time I found this thread, very nice build. It took me four days to do the cobblestone base. Just an addition to your history lesson is that centrifugal pumps were developed with greater capacity and began replacing piston pumps. There were two world wars that required metal and there sure was a lot there, let alone the brass for bullets.

I have 2 of these in my stash awaiting builds back to horse drawn using the Lindberg stage coach or cannon caisson kits. I built an original for a local hobby shop and I swapped the build for the kit. It is still in the hobby shop case.

I would like to see a finished picture

thanks for a fire apparatus build

greg

How did you deal with the seam that runs right down the middle? I still have the base and would like to use it, but I can't figure out a good way to get rid of that seam.

Sorry to horn in-I don't know what your base looks like. Although not 'cobblestones', and a different look (think gravel) maybe kitty litter, white glue on a masonite base gives you an alternative?? Scale would be OK...

Sorry to horn in-I don't know what your base looks like. Although not 'cobblestones', and a different look (think gravel) maybe kitty litter, white glue on a masonite base gives you an alternative?? Scale would be OK...

Yeah, I could scratchbuild a base. But the kit comes with a "cobblestone" base with the cobblestone texture molded in. But the base comes in two halves with a big old seam going right down the middle of it.

Yeah, I could scratchbuild a base. But the kit comes with a "cobblestone" base with the cobblestone texture molded in. But the base comes in two halves with a big old seam going right down the middle of it.

Could you cut (maybe hot knife) parallel to the seam, along the joints of the stones? Then fit those halves together??

I did something similar for my GT's case, only in paper. I copied a redbrick pattern onto paper, then photocopied it several times. Then joined along the intersecting joints. It's not 3 dimensional like your stones but is undetectable and nice looking with the car on top in the case.

A snap would help. Sorry if I'm wasting your time...

Harry, maybe nose around the doll house suppliers. Some of their stuff is 1/12th.

Or the railroad diorama suppliers.

Already have. The closest I can find is 1" scale cobblestone sheet 7x10"... meaning I'd have to piece it together, which brings me right back where I started.

Considering the level of work you put into in this I'd scratchbuild a base just because!

Go get a sheet of cork, cut it into scale size cobbles. Glue these to your base of choice then use plaster or better yet Hydrocal to fill in between the cobbles. Keep it thin and in the gaps. Makes for a great representation of stone or brick when painted appropriate colors.

G

• 1 year later...

Harry,

I stumbled onto this beautiful thread by chance.  I have long planned to build a backdated version of the Christie kit sans motorized tractor.  I already have two "Breyer" horses to pull the rig, and reference materials on the harnesses and other equipment  that will need to be fabricated.  I still need to source the front wagon wheels.  Can't see buying an $85.00 kit just for a set of wheels.  Harry, fantastic job!  Thank you for sharing your step by step photos!

David

Harry,

I stumbled onto this beautiful thread by chance.  I have long planned to build a backdated version of the Christie kit sans motorized tractor.  I already have two "Breyer" horses to pull the rig, and reference materials on the harnesses and other equipment  that will need to be fabricated.  I still need to source the front wagon wheels.  Can't see buying an $85.00 kit just for a set of wheels.  Harry, fantastic job!  Thank you for sharing your step by step photos!

David

Glad to hear you liked it! :)