Model Cars Magazine Forum

''OLD 16'' 1906 LOCOMOBILE RACER in 1/16 scale

..thanks Agent G.and welcome. HELP- I cant upload photos-What happened. ? editor says too big to upload but they have worked many times before-wont upload till I shrink them down to nothing.....is there something wrong with the site???????

Edited by f1ford48

I am a ole balsa cutter, and I have built many Cleveland kits, but I have never built one of these. I have already searched eBay and spyed severial I am interested in. Again, I am so enjoying your build.

I do however have a question, what are you using to seal the grain of the balsa for painting?

The car is just lovely to look @ and the photo of the car @ the last of your posted photos hooked me like a Big Ole Bass.

Rick

Edited by Pocherphile

Hello-Rick glad you like the build. I may have to start another thread as I am having trouble uploading images now.

I have not heard of the Cleveland kits I will have to check them out.

For the balsa part of the model I first primed it then used squadron white putty. it is nowhere near perfectly smooth but OLD 16 has lots of patina so it is acceptable. FS

For the balsa part of the model I first primed it then used squadron white putty. it is nowhere near perfectly smooth but OLD 16 has lots of patina so it is acceptable. FS

Sanding sealer from the paint store or model airplane dope works fine. Sands well and fills some grain.

I just joined this wonderful forum and the only thing I am posting at this time is the 1/8th Fiat. I have been smearing glue most of my life.....my Dad got me hooked when I watched him build a Ideal Harley in 1957. Amazing one can remember stuff like that and I can't remember what I did yesterday. Took a break after building wood ships and just started building again.

Rick

Really wanted to give this a try, did not find a "Old 16", but did find this one. Bought on eBay and is on its way. This will be the very 1st one of these types of models I have ever built and I pretty much thought I had done it all. ;)

Rick

Got this today in the mail.............wow, the box was full of stuff, different types of wood, plastic parts, a stamped hood (you bend to shape), clear acetate for glass and an assortment of wire for fabing parts. You stuff the seat w/cotton....you gotta be kid'in.

2 sets of plans/details......this will be a in-depth study/build. I for-see more of these in my future, and I have located "Ole 16" too.

Rick B)

Hate too just keep going on about this little jewel, but boy, just went thru complete kit, the body is proto-typical, thats right, you build it just like it was on the original car and it was made of wood too. Everything is here except 2 body lamps and the radiator is a tad warped, but that can be scratch built. I have no idea how these have got by me for so long, but I know about them now. Date on plans was 3 years before I was born'd into this here world........ :o

Rick B)

Hate too just keep going on about this little jewel, but boy, just went thru complete kit, the body is proto-typical, thats right, you build it just like it was on the original car and it was made of wood too.

Pictures or you're makin' it up. :(

Just for you Cato, had everything packed military fashion back into the ctn, but I did un-pack to take this photo.

This kit is tha bomb dude, the plastic parts are crisp and have great detail, other than the raditor being abit outta shape and 2 lamps missing, this kit looks like it was mfg'd yesterday. And by the way, those who build w/balsa knows that the stuff you get today is no where as good as the balsa you would get back when........like 1952, the balsa is alot more dense, tighter fibers......reason for the wood parts still being warp free. I will post some photos of the wood, did I mention the frame is made of mahogany......I will admitt, some of the parts will be replaced w/pear and apple just for the fact can be finished to a glass smooth w/no wood frizz. The coach will be built from the wood as comes in kit, and again, the couch on the real car was made of wood, and finished in natural wood. One of the interesting bits of info, leaf springs are mounted on top of frame to lower the CG, otherwise, the coach of the car would make it top heavy and prone to flipping onto it's side! No shocks per say, could be added if one desired.

Rick B)

PS: Looks like one of the wheel caps was replaced w/a brown one.

post-13366-0-62447900-1393298828_thumb.j

post-13366-0-13547100-1393299008_thumb.j

Edited by Pocherphile

Well, one has been snagged, or should I say it snagged me ..............of the Hudson kits I have purchased now, this one took a Big Bite!

This brings the total of Hudson Miniature kits to 4 and I am still bidding on a few more to include a few Aurora kits.

Seems my Hobby of late has been spending that hard earned green :huh: .

Rick B)

since you are interested in this Most Famous race car- heres some pics of a version I bought a few years back

the model is 1/16 scale -scratch built in brass,- build date 1968-the builder was Richard Feil of Johnston RI.

it has a very detailed engine.and chassis -trans and chain drive.weighs in at 4.5 lbs.

Mr Feil used blueprints from Jim Ison to build the model.he offered to build one for Peter Helck although the deal never went through.

he was an industrial designer-silverware seems to pop up now and then on ebay-I have seen about a dozen other antique cars he built. I know of 2 other versions of this car-mine is #5

Edited by f1ford48

sorry to say after all that I can not upload it.I have tried everything and the tutorials here dont help.I even opened a photo bucket album but dont understand how to load here-very frusterated.

Frank-p'bucket is easy.

I open a thread here and hit the reply button with 'more options'.

That gives you the full editor. Begin a post so you can insert your picture in your post.

In another window, I open P/B and follow the prompts to open an album. Then select 'upload photos'. Your picture folders will be listed and select a file (picture) you want. Upload it in a 'medium' or 'large' size. When the picture appears on P/B, there's a small 'gear' icon on the upper right of it. Click that and select 'get links',

At the bottom of the list, left click that and it will illuminate 'copied'.

Then go to your MCM post and look for an icon across the top that shows a 'link-or lock'. Click that and then right click and paste in the code you got from P/B.

Them select 'preview message' and your picture will be there.

HTH-'cause your stuff's too good not to be seen here.