Model Cars Magazine Forum

''OLD 16'' 1906 LOCOMOBILE RACER in 1/16 scale

I believe this is about the most popular thread here, so many ideas, a cool build and others being formulated.

I lucked up today and snagged another Old 16 off of eBay....$22.50 + ship.............a far cry from what the one from Gasolinealley set be back...... <_< .

But, hey, thats the breaks............and I now have one to build, one to put up. :D

Frank, you used a plastic frame on your build, could you please divulge that info.

I am looking @ using printers plate for the hood, a thin metal very easy to bend and make into the simple shape of the hood.

I also want to make the raditor out of brass shim, the fuel cell from a copper tube w/ends.......what do you recommend for the wheels and tires......not too crazy about the plastic ones in the kit.

Rick

hey Rick- I used the ITALA frame ,had to shorten it and narrow it ,made cross members. changed the rear horns.the Mercer frame is too thin.

the wheels are Fuman Mercer-Tires again ITALA.[they had identical tread to the real OLD 16]..

now- where do I get printers plate?

Cato, you are sett'in the bar high.........there is a FIAT I have wanted too for along time to build, and just as you pointed out, this beast has a aero engine, the body is so tall, the driver has to look over the side to drive the thing................a seed plated can grow into a tree.

Rick

I think I have seen a scale model of this car . it is possibly in the FIAT Museum. was in a book called History of the motor car-early 70s I will try to find my copy........

Edited by f1ford48

Speaking of monsters on wheels, the 1910 Blitzen Benz would be a great kit.

"Powered by a huge 21.5 liter (approximately 1300 cubic-inches) engine that produced 200 horsepower, the car immediately began setting speed records in Germany, Belgium, and at Brooklands in England. Fulfilling the design objectives, the flying-start one-kilometer record was set at 202.7 km/h."

http://www.conceptcarz.com/events/eventVehicle.aspx?carID=14215&eventID=184&catID=1427

I knew you'd come through Dr.

That thing is beautiful for a 1910 device ('cept for the snout maybe...) and would be a great 1/16 or 1/8 model.

As a long time addict to open exhaust, I'd love to hear those exhaust pipes... :o

Beautiful work on this build! I have 2 of the Old 16 kits already so some day I'll build one of them!

and as far as balsa wood models go I'll just leave this here...... :D

DSC_0191_zps7f68eb59.jpg

Thank You- is that Berkeley Packard the one they give you a wood block to carve out? -now thats creative!

nice HM collection- they sold originally for 2.50 and 3.95 I believe

Edited by f1ford48

"Powered by a huge 21.5 liter (approximately 1300 cubic-inches) engine that produced 200 horsepower, the car immediately began setting speed records in Germany, Belgium, and at Brooklands in England. Fulfilling the design objectives, the flying-start one-kilometer record was set at 202.7 km/h."

http://www.conceptcarz.com/events/eventVehicle.aspx?carID=14215&eventID=184&catID=1427

is that the car that cigar chomping Barney Oldfield made some records with?

those were the days of ''BIGGER IS BETTER''

Edited by f1ford48

Printers Plate is a thin metal, almost like what you get from cutting up a pie pan, but is more rigid. Ask around your local print shops to see who uses this material to make type sets.........they will either sell or give you the scrape material. If you do ever find a source, take them coffee and donuts........you will want as much of the stuff as you can get..........cuts easily, holds it's shape and requires primer, but does take paint well.

Hope this has helped.........I like the stuff because you can make scale looking panels w/it.........perfect for these hoods on the ole gals.

Beautiful work on this build! I have 2 of the Old 16 kits already so some day I'll build one of them!

and as far as balsa wood models go I'll just leave this here...... :D

DSC_0191_zps7f68eb59.jpg

Nice collection..........build man, build.......prices, well I have paid $12.00 to $100.00 (Ole 16".......just bought another Old 16 f/22.50)..........seems most want $49.00 and up.......but you can still find a deal, agree........but agree, hard to find and if you do, everybody in their brother is wanting the thing too!

I have built a small collection as well and I am now adding duplicates.......one f/collection, 1/f building.......current project is a HM's and I am using the balsa as much as I can in the build. Thanks for showing those wonderful kits.

Rick B)

Hello fellow Brass Builders - check out the ITC 1911 MERCER thread for a small article about one of my Heroes... Ed Roy. I think you will find it very Interesting. All the best Frank.

Thanks Frank, for those into any type scale models would enjoy seeing one of these little mechanical marvels @ work. I was also impressed by the speed of the little racer.........saw mentioned they were ran like a thither car.........another of those by-gone era cars once screaming in circles. If you ever get a chance to see one of these little monster do their thing, go check it out. So many good subjects brought out here, that's why I spend more time here than any other of the Forums I belong too, thats all of them, from card models, ships and plastic.

I can't remember if it was already mentioned here, but it was announced last month at the Nurnberg Toy Fair that Italeri is reissuing the Protar 1/12 Fiat Mefistofele.

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/general-discussion/77518-fiat-mefistofele-1-12-a.html

http://www.bestbalsakits.com/tamiya/tamiya-detail.asp?kitnumber=2008

That is correct and the moment the FIAT Mefistofele is available, I will order a couple........I already have the 1/6th 650 Moto Guzzi..........funny in away, collectors do not like to see this @ all....but for those who would love to build one again no longer need to get ripped to buy one, I have seen the Mefistofele go for insane prices and still see it being sold for high prices right now, but oh happy day.......soon you can buy @ a reasonable price....... :lol::lol:

The Moto Guzzi..........is the pinnacle of bike kits, look it up and be amazed.

Rick

Edited by Pocherphile

That is correct and the moment the FIAT Mefistofele is available, I will order a couple........I already have the 1/6th 650 Moto Guzzi..........funny in away, collectors do not like to see this @ all....but for those who would love to build one again no longer need to get ripped to buy one, I have seen the Mefistofele go for insane prices and still see it being sold for high prices right now, but oh happy day.......soon you can buy @ a reasonable price....... :lol::lol:

The Moto Guzzi..........is the pinnacle of bike kits, look it up and be amazed.

Rick

Future project.......................

post-13366-0-66403700-1395090402_thumb.j

Frank I have searched high and low for the recommended parts you used for your build, no such luck............ :o

But I am itching to build a Locomobile, so w/2 kits of Ole 16, I believe I will give one ago w/what comes in the box.

I have been studying the plans/drawings, and I believe w/careful work.......a pretty cool rep of this type vehicle can be had out of the box, albeit not as nice as yours........... ;)

Rick

I have been searching for another Locomobile racer, I have found two that have my attention.........1906 period cars. I am leaning towards the Joe Tracy car, #7 Gordon Bennett Racer, 90 Hp.

PS: It was asked @ one point what the frame on the front of the drivers side was for, and as always with the vast amount of knowledge here, the answer was for a canvas fender. I was doing some research and came across this small photo of car #7..........notice that only the driver was protected from the mud........the poor mechanic was just left to his own..........mud!

post-13366-0-09332700-1395188868_thumb.j

post-13366-0-54227200-1395188903_thumb.j

post-13366-0-36130100-1395188916_thumb.j

Edited by Pocherphile

I have been searching for another Locomobile racer, I have found two that have my attention.........1906 period cars. I am leaning towards the Joe Tracy car, #7 Gordon Bennett Racer, 90 Hp.

PS: It was asked @ one point what the frame on the front of the drivers side was for, and as always with the vast amount of knowledge here, the answer was for a canvas fender. I was doing some research and came across this small photo of car #7..........notice that only the drive was protected from the mud........the poor mechanic was just left to his own..........

I would like to build the 90 hp Gordon Bennet as well. I like the trunk and fuel tank in back. and the color .

all the parts should still be available for OLD 16- I just saw an ITALA on ebay.and the chains and sprockets are micro mark.

the G.B. racer was actually offered in the 1906 Locomobile catalog-$ 18k!!!

I love this photo.........a far cry from the Stock Car Shops/Pit Area CMS................. ^_^

yes-notice the transmission main cluster on the ground [well- on a board]with the external brake band and drum! and the differential on the right rear.... thats one of my favorite photos. would make one Hexx of a diorama eh?

Edited by f1ford48

I would like to build the 90 hp Gordon Bennet as well. I like the trunk and fuel tank in back. and the color .

all the parts should still be available for OLD 16- I just saw an ITALA on ebay.and the chains and sprockets are micro mark.

Can you point me in the right direction. .......I can not find it on eBay?

heres the auction # 271424706790 it may have ended but they seem to come up every 2-3- weeks- the seller might still have it.

the nice thing is that it has a ''jog'' in the frame. [gets wider after engine mounts] you could build the frame easily enough or modify the Mercer or Stutz by making the rails thicker. or use the blueprints as a patern for styrene-best yet.

if you look close on the PH GB 1/8 Model you can tell the frame is made of wood!