Model Cars Magazine Forum

''OLD 16'' 1906 LOCOMOBILE RACER in 1/16 scale

heres the auction # 271424706790 it may have ended but they seem to come up every 2-3- weeks- the seller might still have it.

the nice thing is that it has a ''jog'' in the frame. [gets wider after engine mounts] you could build the frame easily enough or modify the Mercer or Stutz by making the rails thicker. or use the blueprints as a patern for styrene-best yet.

if you look close on the PH GB 1/8 Model you can tell the frame is made of wood!

Ok, I agree, there are options on the frame.........what do you recommend on the tires/rims.......seems that the ones in the kit are the option readily available..........albeit the tires are truly balloon type! Thanks for your help Frank. When I got home today, the 2nd Ole 16 kit had came in the mail. As with all of these I get, I go thru the kit and check everything out. Kit had been started by cutting out the frame rails.......which is a plywood material. The guy was using...........you guessed it, a single edged razor blade, that's old school.........lol. Everything is present and accounted for and it is funny, there are 2 prices penciled on the box.......1st one $1.95 and the 2nd $3.95........inflation? This will be the one I use for my GB build.

Rick B)

Edited by Pocherphile

yes- I wanted a beefier wheel and tire-as on the real car- so used the Entex Mercer wheels and the ITALA tires. [shaved off the demountable rim nuts] the real car has a slightly bigger tire on the rear but I could not go that route. the thing about the ITALA tires is they seem to have the tread like the ones on the real car. they are like an M&S tire [directionals]

there was also a trio of HMs just finished on ebay with old 16 being one -looked like they had moisture damage to boxes. auction # was 161247086039. from the vintage ads ive seen for HMs the Old 16 kit retailed for 3.95 the other price was probably a SALE price.

Edited by f1ford48

yes- I wanted a beefier wheel and tire-as on the real car- so used the Entex Mercer wheels and the ITALA tires. [shaved off the demountable rim nuts] there was also a trio of HMs just finished on ebay with old 16 being one -looked like they had moisture damage to boxes.

What do you think about using Aurora tires? I saw the set of kits you are talking about, noticed the water damage and what I took f/mold on the boxes.......I work construction........we have a saying about mold = gold, meaning the amount of work/money to repair the damage caused by this stuff. Ergo, I passed on those but if not for that, I would have maybe made a try f/them as well.

I have spent about the last 2 hours researching the Locomobile, Dr. H.E. Thomas. his ordering a $18,000.00 race car from a company that had until then not built a racer, would go on to build 2 of them, Dr. Thomas's #7 90Hp and of course Ole #16.

Campaigned in EU, stripped the gears, came back, used what was learned while there and went on to be a force to be reckoned with.

Rick

sure- Aurora tires would be fine-after all they are just better copies of the HM tires. early in my build you can see the HM tires [painted red primer]

I wonder where the 90 hp racers ended up- could one still be out there somewhere?...............................

Thanks Frank, looking for suitable tires/wheels now on eBay from those kits.

Don't know about those 90 Hp's, but have you seen one of these little beasties..............also a Locomobile.

Seems this little auto was known as a little terror.........power to weight would rival many of todays Sports Cars.

Seems the guy that had this designed had a habit racing away from the local law........he just out ran them!

I guess this was in those days that one did not have to worry about out running the radio?.........lol

Look out Barney..........this one won't nip it in the bud.

Rick :lol:

post-13366-0-12786400-1395353467_thumb.j

Edited by Pocherphile

amazing how much change from 04 to 06! this also has the perforated seat backs like the GB car. royal blue and yellow-another great color combo. imagine this guy tearing up the road in Pa. the police may have had bicycles. there were probably not any license plates yet.I think they called those ''pre states'' when you bought a regis. # and made your own plate. [some were leather with metal numbers attached.]

well this could be built using another 1/16 kit that I know of.

I read somewhere it was a box for check point documents.[notice there is some official badge on the box] when the racers came into a town or checkpoint the box was opened and proof that the car passed was enclosed by race or town officials. the smaller box seen on top in some of the old 16 photos is a roadside flag-reflector kit used before emergency blinkers in case of a breakdown- Peter carried this later as I have not seen it in early photos.

it is amazing how much there is to know about these early racers- something new all the time..............

I read somewhere it was a box for check point documents.[notice there is some official badge on the box] when the racers came into a town or checkpoint the box was opened and proof that the car passed was enclosed by race or town officials. the smaller box seen on top in some of the old 16 photos is a roadside flag-reflector kit used before emergency blinkers in case of a breakdown- Peter carried this later as I have not seen it in early photos.

it is amazing how much there is to know about these early racers- something new all the time..............

Give that man a cigar......was called the Ticket Box and just as you have said, was used to verify that the driver had in fact stayed on the course from town to town or in some locations, from street to street. And now I know what the smaller box was used for.

By the way, did you see the block of kits (Hudson) on eBay. I have bidded 4 times, I am going to win those suckers, they look brand new. Yes there is much to learn and some of the stuff you find out is still used to this very day, say like the checkered flag would come from this time frame/era of racing as is still practiced today. -_-

Rick B)

And for those who said look he posted again before showing any progress, I am waiting for the glue to dry on the frame for the FIAT.................so :P

Give that man a cigar......was called the Ticket Box and just as you have said, was used to verify that the driver had in fact stayed on the course from town to town or in some locations, from street to street. And now I know what the smaller box was used for.

By the way, did you see the block of kits (Hudson) on eBay. I have bidded 4 times, I am going to win those suckers, they look brand new. Yes there is much to learn and some of the stuff you find out is still used to this very day, say like the checkered flag would come from this time frame/era of racing as is still practiced today. -_-

Rick B)

And for those who said look he posted again before showing any progress, I am waiting for the glue to dry on the frame for the FIAT.................so :P

where did you find out about the ticket box? and I was wrong on the smaller box -unless it is what it is-as I just saw a period photo with it!

where did you find out about the ticket box? and I was wrong on the smaller box -unless it is what it is-as I just saw a period photo with it!

www.vanderbiltcupraces.com I have spent all week on this site, the amount of info on cars, drivers, teams, mfg's etc. is just mind blowing. Got most of the info from the blog 13 Fiats.......enourmous amount of info on about any car/team you want to know about.

Look it up and enjoy.

Rick B)

Edited by Pocherphile

not to worry on the ITALA-now that I know you want it Ill stay out of it.

we are finally getting some rain here.

I have so many cars in mind now I dont know which to start on -but you can be sure I will post something when I get started. was thinking of a 1/8 scale OLD- 16 starting with the ITC MERCER.

the other one I am gathering parts now for is a 32 FORD 5 window- coupe-1/8 scale STOCK!

check out ABE and FERGYS in the dioramas for a surprise.

thats one model I sure would like to get my hands on!

Yes sir, but hey, we can model our own.....and there for sure are a plethora of Old 16's on ebay.........not only is there one in the set I am vying for, but today, someone posted a double set of them f/a reasonable price........remember, I paid $100.00 f/my 1st copy?

Frank if anyone can, you can buddy...........so come on, do your thing. By the way, I went thru and checked out your threads, after seeing what you can do, which looks to me whatever you put your mind too, show us how to build that puppy.

Rick :rolleyes:

PS: Itala is on its way. :)

Edited by Pocherphile