Model Cars Magazine Forum

''OLD 16'' 1906 LOCOMOBILE RACER in 1/16 scale

yes- the few ive seen did look like the Fiat was involved...

I believe that he sold the rights to the design to the mfger, @ one time I knew the name of the company that popped this kit..........then after seeing that it would sell, Mr Pocher decided to make that same kit his 1st venture....albit.......the Fiat as we know it.

The Fiat was the very 1st kit marked w/Pocher as the Logo............and the rest is History.

Rick B)

When I worked in a restoration shop, my path to work was some of the streets of Huntington that were once the Vanderbuilt course. Some of those back streets and houses were probably just like they were in '08...

When I worked in a restoration shop, my path to work was some of the streets of Huntington that were once the Vanderbuilt course. Some of those back streets and houses were probably just like they were in '08...

amazing....so much history there.. did you ever go to the LI auto Museum?

I guess I have to get to the Henry Ford sometime to see OLD16

amazing....so much history there.. did you ever go to the LI auto Museum?

I guess I have to get to the Henry Ford sometime to see OLD16

Yes in the '80's. Went to Mitchell Field too and saw the Jug in natural metal there--GAWDD!!!!!

Oh My, on eBay a Old 16...........started low bid, but I have already bidded and I will tell you now, I bidded way higher than most would, this time I will not let slip thru my fingers like I allowed a few weeks ago f/a certain ITC kit!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

Alls fair in love and war.................

Rick :angry:

Yea, I noticed that, what I really want is the plastic parts, the rest can be scratch made........... ;)

Rick B)

I looked at it again and its fine-they just took off the frame rails and the rest is numbered and fine-rare to get a plastic packet still sealed[almost]!

I looked at it again and its fine-they just took off the frame rails and the rest is numbered and fine-rare to get a plastic packet still sealed[almost]!

Yea, she's a keeper...........I did get the one I ordered last week, today in the mail! So I already have one, 100% complete. So if'n I do win this one, I think I am going to give it ago, build using what comes in the box and see just what can be done with the material as provided by a kit that is older than I am! Of course, the chain will be sourced.........1/12th motorcycle chain w/sprockets. ^_^

Rick B)

PS: I have become addicted to these Hudson Miniature kits...........they just fascinate the he hockey sticks outta me!

cato...

There's a new series on the Velocity channel called "Americarna" with Hendrick Motorsports crew chief Jeff Evernham as host. Today, there was a rebroadcast of of their show on the Vanderbilt Cup races in Long Island from 1904-1910, featuring the restored Alco "Black Beast (Bete Noire)" that won the 09-10 races. It has a discussion of the role of the "mechanician," as mentioned in one of these related threads, and great vintage photos and movie film (the first sports movies ever). Keep your eyes open and see if it it comes up again. [i think Velocity is on HD channels only.]

Edited by sjordan2

my OLD 16 is posted on the Vanderbilt site in the mystery photo section. Howard [site manager and owner of the ALCO] sent a nice letter complementing me on it.

The Black Beast would not be too hard to build as a curbside- I sure have the parts to do it! in earlier photos of the car it looks like it had a cream colored chassis that would be awesome with the black body.

Edited by f1ford48

my OLD 16 is posted on the Vanderbilt site in the mystery photo section. Howard [site manager and owner of the ALCO] sent a nice letter complementing me on it.

The Black Beast would not be too hard to build as a curbside- I sure have the parts to do it! in earlier photos of the car it looks like it had a cream colored chassis that would be awesome with the black body.

Please do............that would be just the cats meow............the Black Beast..........oh yea baby.

You might be able to add an engine. It's a triple T-head. You might see if the show is on YouTube.

EDIT: You can find some short clips here...

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=americarna%20vanderbilt%20cup&sm=12

PS: The show will air again on Velocity HD this coming Thursday, March 13, at 10 pm Eastern.

Interesting note: Evernham observed that the Black Beast may have been the first instance of race car cheating, since it was 80 hp over the maximum allowable horsepower.

Edited by sjordan2

OMG.............Frank you gotta do one of these, I was just looking @ this car Friday night and wondering what would one use to build it.

What parts are you looking @ f/a build if you do build.

yea-see how cool those cream colored frame rails look? well-the Thomas Flyer in 1/16 looks like a good candidate for the hood sides,[has louvers] radiator shell, possibly an engine. the ITALA for a frame. rest would be scratch- another BIG project!!!!!!!

Just beautiful.

I don't understand after stripping the whole car, why they left the fender braces on?? And 100MPH without even a strap across your waist-sheesh.

As an aside to this, one of you guys have GOT to start building the early, aero-engined LSR cars. true monsters on wheels. You know, Pendine Sands cars...

the fender braces are for a canvas mud flap-like a fender -installed when conditions were muddy. I think there are other vintage pics with this flap installed. imagine how much mud that front tire could sling off- right towards the driver!

Edited by f1ford48

I believe this is about the most popular thread here, so many ideas, a cool build and others being formulated.

I lucked up today and snagged another Old 16 off of eBay....$22.50 + ship.............a far cry from what the one from Gasolinealley set be back...... <_< .

But, hey, thats the breaks............and I now have one to build, one to put up. :D

Frank, you used a plastic frame on your build, could you please divulge that info.

I am looking @ using printers plate for the hood, a thin metal very easy to bend and make into the simple shape of the hood.

I also want to make the raditor out of brass shim, the fuel cell from a copper tube w/ends.......what do you recommend for the wheels and tires......not too crazy about the plastic ones in the kit.

Rick

Just beautiful.

I don't understand after stripping the whole car, why they left the fender braces on?? And 100MPH without even a strap across your waist-sheesh.

As an aside to this, one of you guys have GOT to start building the early, aero-engined LSR cars. true monsters on wheels. You know, Pendine Sands cars...

Cato, you are sett'in the bar high.........there is a FIAT I have wanted too for along time to build, and just as you pointed out, this beast has a aero engine, the body is so tall, the driver has to look over the side to drive the thing................a seed plated can grow into a tree.

Rick

post-13366-0-31170400-1394485793_thumb.j

Edited by Pocherphile